Recently Regressed.

Guest nyrangers

Guest nyrangers

Hello, I'm new here. I'm 16 years old and I have been struggling with OCD for about 1-2 years officially (but however still most of my life). I mainly struggle with contamination OCD and some other variations.

I have being going to therapy since March of 2015, and been taking medication, and it has really helped me tremendously up until today. I had had another bad nervous breakdown (which hadn't happened SINCE March) about touching something in the bathroom that I am afraid of. I am feeling really depressed but I also have a question for anyone who cares to reply.

If you have contamination OCD, or any kind of OCD that applies to this, what are some positive ways to steer away from doubt? For example, I always think I touch things in the bathroom just by walking past them, but I truly know I didn't touch them, however I cannot stop thinking of the "what ifs". It really bothers me because I know in my head that I really did not touch anything, but I waste all my time worrying about it anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Im sorry you haven't had a reply, its not because you are being ignored, but sometimes there is so much activity in the general forum, this one gets overlooked.

Im not a sufferer, but my son is, so I do know some of what you are going through. I hope someone more in the know than me will be along shortly for you, but in the meantime if you would like to post in the main forum, please feel free to do so.

Carol

If you have contamination OCD, or any kind of OCD that applies to this, what are some positive ways to steer away from doubt? For example, I always think I touch things in the bathroom just by walking past them, but I truly know I didn't touch them, however I cannot stop thinking of the "what ifs". It really bothers me because I know in my head that I really did not touch anything, but I waste all my time worrying about it anyways.

I think your question is typical of all aspects of OCD really and this is where the treatment and therapy becomes effective. It's vital to ensure you are receiving the right type of therapy, it really needs to be cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) rather than just counselling or ERP (behavioural therapy).

The cognitive aspect of therapy is where you can get the most help with this.

The problem is with OCD we spend so much time thinking 'Did I touch this or not' that within minutes our OCD makes us believe we DID touch it. I just wrote on another thread in order to challenge OCD then we really must confront OCD and so in this case you simply tell yourself to stop worrying if you touched it or not and tell yourself you did touch it. Of course an even better approach is to work with the therapist to help you proactively choose to touch the object anyway (and when you do that, you will eventually stop caring if you touch it or not).

Ultimately to overcome your OCD you need to confront it, until then refocus can be helpful when the anxiety strikes. So when my OCD gets bad I would try and refocus my mind away, go for a ride on my bike (some people go running or play computer games) or I pick up the phone and chat to a friend (about anything but OCD). That's a short stop gap that sometimes helps, sometimes doesn't ultimately you need to work with the therapy to confront your OCD head on.

Ashley :)