Why am I such a perfectionist?

Why is that when I read Claire Weekes' book I feel like I have to follow it perfectly, to the letter? I obsess over what exactly she means instead of just trying to follow the advice because I'm so afraid I won't get better.

Why is that when I read Claire Weekes' book I feel like I have to follow it perfectly, to the letter? I obsess over what exactly she means instead of just trying to follow the advice because I'm so afraid I won't get better.

I can relate. Perfectionism is driven by fear. You are obsessing about her exact meanings - analyzing intentions, and your interpretations. It's an endless cycle of analyzing. When I am stuck in this process I try to go with my first thought.

I would be asking myself, what about the healing process am I afraid of? Am I afraid of getting more anxious? Doing it wrong? Once you can face the fear of the unknown or chance you might get a bit more anxious - you will be able to move forward. You can't get better without facing some discomfort. Its difficult, but doable. You have to face your fears!

Edited by jballan

It doesn't really matter why. What matters is that you can help get out of the perfectionist loop by starting to settle for the discomfort that not being perfect or not doing things perfectly causes, as hard as that is! Good luck! :)