Telling university?

Guest It'sOnlyNatural

Guest It'sOnlyNatural

Hi :)

I am going to university in September, and I was wondering if I should tell the university about having OCD.

The thing is, I don't want to claim disability loans or anything, as I can't think of any reason why I would need extra expenses.

However, things like my own room (especially my own bathroom) would be really really helpful - for me getting ready for bed can take hours and is usually the time when I am most stressed/anxious. But I am worried that it will sound like I am just using OCD as an excuse to get better accommodation. I know I don't need it as much as someone who has a more severe problem, but at the same time I know it would really help me.

Would I need an updated doctor's note? (I was diagnosed about 3 years ago and discharged from CAMHS a year and a half ago). Also, I am now 18, so is the CAMHS stuff still relevant or would I need a new diagnosis from the adult services?

Anyone else at uni with OCD?

Sorry for all the questions!! Thanks so much x :)

Hi again!

Don't worry, I'm not stalking you! :ph34r:

But as I said on your other post, I had OCD for years & never realised the scope of it & certainly never liked to admit it, even when it would of benefitted me.

From my personal point of view, if you have OCD surely it is best to let your UNI know?

I let my work know after my most recent re-emergance of OCD & they've been great about it. It's never really mentioned (not in a bad way), I just get asked if I am okay more than I would of!

It's not looking for charity to let your UNI know this & it will help them to understand times when perhaps you aren't feeling yourself if you have a bad day.

Plus, if, as you say having your own room would help you out, then it is entirely justified. I'm pretty sure UNI work will be enough of a challenge on its own without adding any excess pressure (especially, if it can be avoided).

Symps