Angry e-mail I sent to OCD Center

So, my OCD is much improved in some areas (through self-help), but I've had this one very bad obsession for over a year, related to which treatment option to use for GAD. I called an OCD Center because I wanted help with the obsession, because it's pretty bad. I had to go through a phone screening, and I explained to the doctor that the obsession was about treatment for GAD. She took this as my main problem is GAD and not OCD. I kept saying how I have this one very bad obsession, but she kept saying to go to someone for GAD. I even mentioned that this obsession was so bad that I had to leave school for the semester because I couldn't concentrate at all. Still, I was denied treatment at this place. When I kept reexplaining the problem, she got defensive, like I was trying to challenge her "expert knowledge". I e-mailed another doctor there, who is well-known and the one I wanted to see because he really understands this stuff, and he responded saying that he went over my case with Dr. W (the phone screening doctor) and that I should get therapy for GAD. So, I got pretty angry and sent this frustrated e-mail:

I have to point out that I really think Dr. W missed the point of
what I was saying. This is really typical with mental health doctors.
If they feel you’re challenging their expertise, they get defensive. I
repeated myself ad nauseum, explaining how I am suffering from a
really bad obsession at the moment and I need help with it. I’ve been
suffering from that obsession for over a year and it’s really caused
me a lot of grief. So I called the OCD experts because I wanted some
help and encouragement so I could let go of this obsession and move
on. Yeah, I have GAD as well, and my OCD has gotten better in some
areas, but as you experts love to remind us so much, OCD can’t be
cured. Remember? You all give us a life sentence and then wonder why
we get frustrated. My experience with mental healthcare has been
absolute garbage. The so-called “expert” on the phone doesn’t
understand I’m suffering with OCD. Why is she the one doing the phone
screenings? Sorry, but I have to get this out there. It seems, once
again, I have to figure out how to help myself. Dr. Weltz says my
problem is using self-help books. Gee, I wonder why I have to? Have a
good day.

Edited by Ryukil
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have OCD, but my obsession was about my GAD. I know for sure I have OCD. I used to have tons of obsessions/compulsions. So now I have one really bad obsession circling around my OCD. She missed the point entirely, that I have an OCD obsession "about" GAD.

To BristolChris: I've had OCD for many years and can tell the difference between OCD and GAD.

Edited by Ryukil

Not sure what your issue is Chris...If you think GAD and OCD are very similar, maybe you should be on GADuk instead of OCDuk. I mean, why not? According to you they're so similar that you think they're interchangeable when it comes to a doctor specifying what a patient's problem is.

Edited by Ryukil

It's nothing personal against you. I'm sure your a nice guy. I just think people have to go careful and not always think they know better than trained mental health professionals. I don't know what the actual issue is but I'm pretty certain that you can obsess over things with GAD.

Do you believe me that in the past I've had normal OCD obsessions, that I've overcome with exposure and response prevention therapy? Because that is the case. I got over most of those, but I still remember exactly what an anxiety-driven urge to do something (a compulsion) feels like. In this particular case, the need to be certain about the treatment for GAD was driving compulsions. She missed the point that I was having an obsession and accompanying compulsions and just honed in on the fact that I said "GAD". Therefore, I'm being denied treatment.

Edited by Ryukil

As I said I don't know what the actual issue is but you were told Tue same thing by to mental health experts. Perhaps you didn't explain it clearly or perhaps they feel the issue can be sorted out wiry GAD treatment. Maybe we should just agree to disagree.

But you e-mailed another doctor and he told you the same thing. I don't mean to be rude but of you have been given treatment for OCD they will probably not see you for one problem. They will say to follow the teckniques you have been taught. What she probably meant was that you needed more help with your GAD

He told me that he talked to the one doctor. I mean, he talked to that doctor I spoke to on the phone and just agreed with her I assume, but the problem is the doctor from the phone call MISSED THE POINT OF WHAT I WAS SAYING.

Guest Lotty

How frustrating for you Ryukil I hope you get a response to your complaint. Do you have a community mental health team you could get a referral to? Health professionals can def get it wrong sometimes. My g.p told me I didn't have ocd because I didn't wash my hands!

How frustrating for you Ryukil I hope you get a response to your complaint. Do you have a community mental health team you could get a referral to? Health professionals can def get it wrong sometimes. My g.p told me I didn't have ocd because I didn't wash my hands!

That is bad. Gp's aren't well trained in mental health. Personally I think they should have to pass mental health problems on to an expert.

Chris you are totally wrong. Read our latest magazine to see some great examples of health professionals getting it wrong.

Some of my work involves taking on psychiatrists for getting it wrong.

The majority probably do get it right, but you must not be naive to assume they always get it right.

Hi Ryukil,

I understand your frustration - you've been misunderstood and the help you sought hasn't been forthcoming.

So, you've expressed your anger and opinion in an email and got your frustration off your chest. Job done.

Ruminating further on this issue or discussing it further (in your head, on the forum or in further emails) will only keep the anger rolling around inside you, fuelling the OCD instead of moving you forward.

It's time to draw a line under this unhelpful phone call and remind yourself what it was you wanted in the first place.

I called the OCD experts because I wanted some help and encouragement so I could let go of this obsession and move on.

You've identified it's an obsession and you've recognise you need to let it go and move on.

This is all good. The next stage is to actually do the 'letting go'.

That means not giving in to any compulsions to think about it, ponder over the pros and cons, question yourself or your judgement... anything that keeps the problem ticking over in your mind must be set aside.

Every time your mind drifts back to the problem and the worries start up again, calmly but firmly set it aside and go do something that keeps your mind occupied with other thoughts.

When you're off doing that something else and the worries return, calmly but firmly set the thoughts aside again and get back to occupying your mind with other things.

Over and over, as often as it takes. Don't get angry with yourself if it's hard, give yourself credit for trying, keep calm and try again.

That's the standard advice for dealing with OCD. As for encouragement, well, we can tell you it gets easier the more you practise not worrying. :)

Advice and encouragement was what you were after. Ok, so you didn't get it on the phone call earlier, but you've got it now. So let's not waste any more energy on the anger and frustration of what happened. Time to move on.

Part of effective therapy is learning to handle frustrations (from any source) and get yourself back on track as quickly as possible. That's where you need to put your mental energy now.

Chris you are totally wrong. Read our latest magazine to see some great examples of health professionals getting it wrong.

Some of my work involves taking on psychiatrists for getting it wrong.

The majority probably do get it right, but you must not be naive to assume they always get it right.

I don't. I know they don't. But I think a majority do. I'm not saying what I'm saying to be rood or offend anyone. I just feel that being a psychiatrist or a doctor is a very hard job that requires years of training and I feel like some people on here don't appriciate that.

Also I feel that many people on her aren't educated on what ocd is. I obviously don't mean you Ashley you probably know more than most experts. But I think it is a bit careless for some people to say psychiatrists are wrong unless they are very well educated on the subject. However I do feel it is fine to question gp's as I don't feel they are well trained enough in mental health.

Edited by BristolChris

I appreciate the support all. Not sure if it was a dumb idea to send that email or not, but sometimes I get so frustrated. And yeah, I'm going to let it go now. Either I get a response or not. Even if I do get a response, I'm not sure I'd want to go them because now they'll think of me as the guy who caused trouble.

Edited by Ryukil