really need help! real exposure!

Guest silverlight

Guest silverlight

I went to a minor emergency clinic yesterday because my son wasn't feeling well after being vaccinated. He went running toward the biohazard bin on the ground and I think he may have touched it, but I'm not sure. I grabbed him and then the doctor came in and handed him a lollipop! I've asked 3 different people, the doctor, my husband who is a registered nurse, and poison control and they all said risk of exposure is low but I'm just freaking out!!! I don't know what to do!!

Edited by silverlight
Guest silverlight

I just found a website where you can talk to a doctor and he said there is risk of exposure and to take him to a radiologist and have him tested and to keep him away from other children. He's already been around other children!! I am going to die.

I'm not sure how much help I'll be, but I wanted to say something as I can imagine what a state you must be in.

I wouldn't necessarily believe the doctor on the website - I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about, to be honest. I would go with what the other doctor at the clinic and your husband say. Your OCD is blowing things way out of proportion.

Guest silverlight

Thank you for responding. I decided to take him to the emergency room and see what they can do. :( I feel awful. I was going to wash his hands but there was no soap in the room yesterday just water and some hand sanitizer, but I hesitated because hand sanitizer is bad for small kids. Then the Dr came in handed him a lollipop and I opened it because I felt nervous and knew he was going to cry for it. I wish someone would save my kids from me.

I suffer from fears of contamination and harm too, so I do understand. I think it was bad of them to keep a biohazard bin within the reach of children, but you don't even know if he did touch the bin (don't try to remember, because your OCD will twist the memory and you'll just be less sure) and it's not as if he had his hand inside it. The likelihood is that everything is fine, it's just the tiny amount of uncertainty that your OCD is focussing on.

I just found a website where you can talk to a doctor and he said there is risk of exposure and to take him to a radiologist and have him tested and to keep him away from other children. He's already been around other children!! I am going to die.

I just wanted to say that that's really crazy and unhelpful advice! I'd be wary of using these internet sites that claim to put you in touch with a real doctor. You could really just be speaking to absolutely anyone and there would be no way of knowing.

If there was a real risk of exposure to the extent that you would need to take your son to a radiologist (!) then the bin wouldn't have been there in the first place.

I would trust the advice of the professionals in the clinic as they're going to know what they're talking about, so when they say it's safe then it's safe. Believe them, and try and resist the urge to question this and look for answers.

I would advise you to not google things and don't message "doctors" on websites. This will only fuel your OCD and make it worse.

Guest silverlight

They came in and talked with me and told me the same thing. I feel like I really want blood work done. There is a biohazard bin in here too and I am resisting the urge to go touch it myself and put my hand in my mouth. :(

Guest LoTex

Maybe he was exposed to some relatively harmless pathogen, and as the German philosopher Neitszche wrote, that which does not kill us makes us stronger. You know there is a theory that some adults have allergies because they were NOT exposed to germs enough as kids.

Guest silverlight

I'm worried about exposure to hepatitis b or even hiv. ? he's supposed to start daycare Monday and now I feel like I need a quarantine.

I'm sorry, it's horrible when things like that happen and trigger our fears. I'm hopeless at taking my own advice, but remember that it is your OCD making you feel the way you do, rather than any actual need for blood tests or quarantining - those would be compulsions, and wouldn't even satisfy your anxiety. Carry on as normal, and try not to dwell on it, then once you're calmer you'll be able to see things more clearly.