This worry is ruining my life.

Guest stuckinmyhead

Guest stuckinmyhead

Hi guys 

just want some advice on this... Split up with a short term boyfriend last year- the police had to get involved because he would not stop harassing me. Conned me out of money and prayed on my vulnerability. I was very poorly with my OCD at this point. I spilled out my worries- false memories and real life ones. 

Now I'm haunted by the thought he will take one of things I've told him that did happen in real life and twist it making it sound like I've done something knowingly and illegal- tell people that know me and spread things about me. 

Its completely consuming me at the moment. It's something I feel like I'm going to worry about for the rest of my life. 

Please Help! 

Stuck x 

You're not the first person who has expressed such a concern on the forum.

The bottom line is, you're worrying about something that might happen. You have no proof its going to happen and even if it did, you'd deal with it like you deal with everything that life throws at you. So what good does all the worrying do? Well, it doesn't do any good. It just makes you upset for no reason.

Now because you have OCD, your brain is going to latch onto this perceived problem and it won't be easy to let go. Yet that is what you need to do. Let it go. You can start by not allowing yourself to ruminate over this. Literally take a "so what" attitude over it. Tell yourself, "Maybe he will do something rotten. There's nothing I can do. Then shift your attention onto something else. It won't be easy. It will be terribly hard. But it can be done.