Hungover with OCD

Guest ZacDemarco

Guest ZacDemarco

So right now literally I might be in my own living hell, I feel absolutely horrible not only physically from puking my guts out but also mentally. I've first hand experienced how my hangover has made intrusive/ obsession thoughts one hundred times worse. My issue is I keep worrying I am hearing voice, I keep remembering the sounds, music, people who talked to me from the party so vividly  in my head I'm worried if I'm going crazy. I feel my conscious is making things appear without any control over what I imagine, which is what probably scares me the most so far. The possibility of loosing control over my reality, I guess like they say if you're afraid you're going crazy, you're not crazy. So I guess how do I stop my anxiety while feeling hungover plus a peace of mind everything is a-okay. Well aside from my anxiety.

6 hours ago, ZacDemarco said:

So I guess how do I stop my anxiety while feeling hungov

I am not totally sure if this is a serious question or not!!!!!   But, I will answer anyway.  You may not be aware that alcohol is a depressant, and it's not unusual that people with mental health problems feel worse the morning after a heavy session.  Sadly, some people used to self-medicate with alcohol to make the OCD thoughts feel less intense, but of course that was not the answer and for people of my generation (pre-internet) OCD and alcohol problems were not unusual.

Not if we have a physical injury, let's say a leg injury, we do everything in our power to let it heal, we don't don't go play football (proper football), we don't go jogging etc, we let the injury heal in its own time.  We must do the same with an illness of the brain, if we hate OCD we have to do whatever we need to do to help our mind cope with it and deal with it.

So, how you stop the anxiety when hungover?  You don't, so maybe the better approach is not to drink to become hungover. I know I sound like a party pooper, but that's the only answer I can give you.   If you want the occasional drink that's fine, the odd glass here and there is fine. If you want to drink to get hungover once in a blue moon, that's fine too (but be prepared for the trade off of anxiety) but if you want to drink to oblivion on a regular basis then you really need to think if that's a solution or a problem.

Ashley :)