I need advice

Guest Georgina2

Guest Georgina2

Hi so I've had OCD for a while and it's changed a fair bit over the years and for the last 8 months I've had a major contamination fear. I rarely go out ,I won't see my boyfriend and my family if they are ill. But I'm meant to be going away for 5 days with my boyfriend tomorrow and his has a cold. The thought of going is really getting to me, but I don't think I can just let him down and say I'm not coming! I'm so worried it's going to make my OCD worse, I have recently made a little progress which I guess is better than none and I don't want to spoil that. Any advice to help me with ways to control the OCD? I am currently on a waiting list for therapy. 

Edited by Georgina2
Spelling

Hi Georgia.

One of the best things you can do is challenge your OCD. Go into it with the mindset that the worst that can happen is you too get a cold and that's not bad. Everyone gets them it's normal. At times like this what you tell yourself is very important. Stay positive in your head and you'll do much better.

Yes you should go. I doubt it will make your OCD worse. It will make it worse if you stay at home and give in to the demands of OCD. I know it's difficult, I also have contamination type OCD  about the fear of vomiting. We have to challenge it to beat it. Have a good time.