Some advice please

Hi everyone, hope you are all well. For me life events/situations seem to be a huge trigger for my ocd and I'm just looking for some advice on how to manage this situation. Life events for example when I fell out with some friends in high school and become depressed that's when I started washing my hands all the time and became obsessed with getting sick germs good etc then approx 3-4 years ago my parents told me they were going to split up on Christmas Eve and again a huge flare up and I started experiencing my first ever intrusive thoughts. I've had ups and downs since but haven't been as acutely bad as on these occasions. The thing is my parents are going through a really bad patch again and although I'm an adult I still stay with them so it also has an affect on me. Since things got bad again I've noticed myself thinking about intrusive thoughts and being triggered more by news stories etc. I basically want to catch it before it escalates and I become acutely unwell I don't think I can face that again. Does anyone have any tips how best to manage this?

49 minutes ago, Mrs brown said:

Hi everyone, hope you are all well. For me life events/situations seem to be a huge trigger for my ocd and I'm just looking for some advice on how to manage this situation. Life events for example when I fell out with some friends in high school and become depressed that's when I started washing my hands all the time and became obsessed with getting sick germs good etc then approx 3-4 years ago my parents told me they were going to split up on Christmas Eve and again a huge flare up and I started experiencing my first ever intrusive thoughts. I've had ups and downs since but haven't been as acutely bad as on these occasions. The thing is my parents are going through a really bad patch again and although I'm an adult I still stay with them so it also has an affect on me. Since things got bad again I've noticed myself thinking about intrusive thoughts and being triggered more by news stories etc. I basically want to catch it before it escalates and I become acutely unwell I don't think I can face that again. Does anyone have any tips how best to manage this?

Have you tried CBT/ERP therapy yet? It is the most effective treatment for OCD. My advice is to find a qualified therapist that specializes in OCD and CBT/ERP therapy. If you can't afford a therapist currently then I suggest buying the book "Break free from OCD". There are a lot of good reviews about that book on this forum. 

Thanks for the advice. I did see a therapist a while ago when things were bad but she wasn't really too great to be honest and I have been thinking about giving therapy a go again. It is expensive though. I don't know if I'm as ill that I need this now I'm just worried I will end up I'll again like last night time due to these life circumstances. 

I can definitely feel things getting worse some dull thoughts, feelings of anxiety and not sleeping so great. I feel pathetic I'm an adult I shouldn't be letting this get to me I've made it through my real parents divorce now this is my mum and stepdad saying that he's been much more a dad to me than me real dad who's a waste of space. You'd think my the amount of loss/rejection I've had in my life by now I'd be use to it. Feeling very pathetic wish this didn't affect my mental health :( I can't bare to get ill the way I did last time 

Now my mums saying me and her can get a mortgage together and my ocd is thinking what if you can't cope lose your job can't afford anything. Sleeps still not great either. Wish I could be stronger and cope with this. Life always has a way of showing me how rubbish it is :(