Need to do compulsions

Hello everyone,

I am a new person but unfortunately when registering for a site today I used my wrong e-mail and couldn't change the e-mail address so had to sign up again.

This is making me want to do my OCD compulsions. Any advice? If the moderators could delete this in a few days so the Government don't find out I made this mistake I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by planet
Addition

I forgot to take some of the bins out yesterday, am I a bad person? Feeling so bad. As well as this I also feel bad because I forgot to send a thank you e-mail but saw the person involved in a café today and sent them the e-mail there and then and I'm pretty sure they got it then and saw me. Dad said I should have just walked over and said thanks.

Hi Planet.Welcome to the forums. 

You need to get yourself some CBT therapy. But a self-help book meanwhile will show you that these thoughts and compulsions are irrational OCD-driven, and help you on the way to tackling them. Take a look at the ones available from the shop on the main OCD-UK website. 

Don't listen to those compulsions - your Dad was more on the ball. The OCD makes a big thing out of issues that non-sufferers wouldn't. 

Edited by taurean
correction
On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 15:53, taurean said:

Hi Planet.Welcome to the forums. 

You need to get yourself some CBT therapy. But a self-help book meanwhile will show you that these thoughts and compulsions are irrational OCD-driven, and help you on the way to tackling them. Take a look at the ones available from the shop on the main OCD-UK website. 

Don't listen to those compulsions - your Dad was more on the ball. The OCD makes a big thing out of issues that non-sufferers wouldn't. 

Thank you. I've already maxed out CBT sessions, am awaiting for top up sessions. I have used all self help books from OCD-UK website pretty much.

A lot more has happened since and not sure I can cope.

Dad got angry with me as I didn't know his passwords?

Hi Planet,

Have you tried any meds and, if so, what was your experience of them?

What experience did your CBT provider(s) have in treating OCD?

Do you tend to have a hyper-active "sentry" ( our inner mechanism that presses the alarm button when it perceives a threat?) 

How do you respond to actual (or your perceived) criticism? 

Do you find it difficult to relax? 

Are you especially stress-prone - and if you are working, how do you feel you cope at work? 

I am not prying, just looking for some more specific information that may help forum members to understand your issues and maybe make some practical suggestions. 

Edited by taurean
typo
On 21/07/2016 at 20:37, planet said:

Hello everyone,

I am a new person

Hi There :)

Sadly, much as I'm sure that we all like to be sometimes.....we can't become a new person by changing our name or identity on a computer, or even in the real world.  We can become an improved version of ourselves by lot's of hard work  and changing the way we do things.  Trying to make changes like changing names for example, is a huge compulsion and only serves to make the problem worse, just as with carrying out any compulsion.

3 hours ago, planet said:

I have used all self help books from OCD-UK website pretty much.

Now comes the $10 million dollar question.......lots of us read them, even understand them but often don't actually set out a plan and "do" the things that are recommended.  What plan have you tried to address some of the things that you struggle with?  When an urge strikes you to carry out a compulsion because you're feeling worried or anxious, what actions have you taken to try and sit with the anxiety rather than doing the compulsion?

Let's try and see if you can identify the obsessions and what compulsions/behaviours you're currently using and then perhaps work out a better way.

Hi there planet. 

I had a feeling you might be uncomfortable answering my questions, ( I asked them purely to seek a clearer profile of your problems) and you haven't replied to Caramoole yet. 

So meantime let me see what I can deduce from what you have said. 

OCD works around core fears. There are some showing from your posts. 

Fear of being a bad person - the intrusion you gave being about forgetting to put out the bins. 

Fear of making a mistake and the government finding out. 

Fear of failure and being criticised - Dad got mad at me for not remembering his passwords. Being 21 but assessing yourself as a failure. 

This charity, since its creation in 2004, has helped numerous people on the road to recovery. 

We can help you with these issues of yours , if you trust that that is all we want to do - which it is. You will need to help us though, before we can meaningfully help you. 

Look forward to hearing a little more from you, to help us help you :)

Edited by taurean
Typo