Feeling you enjoy an intrusive thought

So I was hanging out with some of my cousins today and I had a couple of intrusive thoughts when I was around them. The first few thoughts I was able to ignore them (though I did feel gross). But with one of them I had the thought (no anxiety) but it was like for a split second I felt elated. And now that they've left I'm starting to feel nauseous.

Guest strawberrymilk

This is a normal thing in OCD, it does try to trick you into thinking you like your thoughts. It happens to me and probably everyone else with themes of harm or inappropriate sexual thoughts, especially once a thought stops causing a physical feeling of anxiety. You don't have to worry about it.

These are all classic OCD compulsions: ruminating and "checking" for feelings. Don't be tricked, don't give in, and don't waste any more of your precious life on analysis. You may or may not have enjoyed a thought. Accept the uncertainty, because certainty is and never will be on the menu here. Good luck!

Guest rdc619

These are tremendous responses. This is type of thing I need to hear as I also sit around analyzing my thoughts worrying if they are true feelings. 

I need to learn that they are just thoughts and may be representitive of something else and to not get stuck worrying. 

Times when my anxiety was less I would let them go. Times of stress and feeling upset they linger. 

Good advice in these responses. Thank you  

On 7/25/2016 at 05:52, ohwhyhello said:

These are all classic OCD compulsions: ruminating and "checking" for feelings. Don't be tricked, don't give in, and don't waste any more of your precious life on analysis. You may or may not have enjoyed a thought. Accept the uncertainty, because certainty is and never will be on the menu here. Good luck!

Brilliant! Better than a thousand words pages of reassurance. 

Edited by paradoxer