"Official" diagnosis

Guest Mumof2

Guest Mumof2

Hi, I'm new here so this might end up being a long one, sorry! I've had mild OCD signs since my early teens, but it really kicked off when I was 20. Since then (13 yrs) I've had bouts on and off and been on antidepressants on and off. When it's bad my OCD is the intrusive thoughts kind. I always have the contamination/checking kind (e.g. excessive hand washing and checking locked doors, checking my children's breathing for X number of breaths when I check on them in the night etc) but when I'm "well" (i.e. not having intrusive thoughts) I can manage these other issues and they are an inconvenience rather than completely debilitating. 

I had a breakdown last yr. Annoyingly I'd been feeling really good, had weaned myself off the antidepressants, but then after 2 months I was thrown into intrusive thoughts hell. I had some therapy and went back on the tablets and have been ok since, but this week something has happened which has triggered it again (despite still being on meds) which is scary because usually the meds keep me level.

Anyway, my question is, no one's ever specifically said "you have OCD". The docs have listened to my symptoms and happily prescribed tablets or therapy, but never actually said those words. Does that mean I'm not technically diagnosed? I'm in the UK. 

Thanks for reading.

My favorite saying is, if it looks like a duck and talks like a duck it's probably a duck. What you've described sounds like OCD.

You should get an official diagnosis. You'll know for sure but further it sets the stage for you to access the help you need, namely Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Don't rely on just meds. CBT is the therapy for OCD.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry you have been having a particularly difficult time recently. To second what PolarBear said - it sounds like OCD to me. When I was first 'diagnosed' with OCD I basically just went to the doctor, told them I had OCD and explained a bit about my symptoms. I had known I had OCD for 6 years before that, but I was trying to cope without medical support. (Unfortunately) a lot of people with OCD know a lot more about their condition than their GP does. I don't think anyone has assessed me and deduced that I have OCD, I have just told them and they have tried to treat it. Occasionally I have filled in questionnaires which assess the level of OCD symptoms, but I think that was after I had begun to get treatment for OCD. 

Even though you haven't heard a doctor say 'OCD', it is probably written on your medical records, at least in terms of the reason you have been prescribed support. I think the main use in having an 'official' diagnosis is so that if you meet new doctors/therapists they know you have that condition, but in terms of treatment it shouldn't be a big issue whether a doctor has said 'OCD' or not. That is based on my personal experience in the UK. Of course the NHS is undergoing some changes at the moment but as far as I know it doesn't have to be a clinically assessed diagnosis in order for you to access help.

Guest Mumof2

Hi thanks for the replies. I went to the doctor this week (my daughter has tonsillitis so I asked him about me at the same time). He was really nice, said basically what you guys have said, that it looks like ocd. He advised me not to push for an "official" diagnosis because once there something official it can cause problems with things in real life (e.g. life insurance etc). But he said not having a diagnosis doesn't stop me getting treatment so he's referred me for cbt :-)