Issues with sleeping

True! I've experienced nights where I've been awake at 4am in an absolute panic, and nights where I've been awake until 4am just because it was too hot/I wasn't tired/etc and I was lying in bed peacefully.  The former really messes with you, I think because panicking in that way is so exhausting and terrifying.  You fear it will happen again and that fear fuels a cycle.  

Staying calm is so hard but in my experience it is something that you can teach yourself (though with significant effort).  And I still do slip up occasionally.  I had a shocker of a night a few weeks back during a period after a breakup where my general stress levels were sky high, but I've learned to tell myself that one bad night isn't going to form a path into severe insomnia - it's just a bad night and everyone experiences that now and then.  

It's just frightening because OCD really feels like the "Big Bad Brain" i.e. always coming up with thoughts that really unnerve you whether you want them or not.  Mindfulness has helped me hugely in this regard as I can recognise these and flag them as BS! 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic