They tried to Baker Act me for intrusive thoughts?!

Guest Littleshay

Guest Littleshay

I went to the ER because I am a new mom and I was having intrusive thoughts of dropping my son. I went in theregards for help...maybe some meds to help because the thoughts were giving me severe anxiety. (Still are) I explained to them that I never wanted to drop my son or harm him but it was more so just a fear that I would and a constant image in my head of what it would be like if I did. This thought made my physically ill every time I thought it. Anyway, they ended up Baker Acting me for having these thoughts and I was finally released by the mental health doctor about 8 hrs later. This was after I was told be a nurse that I'm lucky I'm not attending my sons funeral and that intrusive thoughts are not a form of OCD and that I need to find another doctor. My question is, am I really a horrible person for thinking these things? Is it the disease of OCD or something deeper? That nurse really had me feeling like a monster and I honestly don't know anymore. I've had thoughts of harming things and people I love in the past, even went as far as to think "what if I put my dog in the microwave" which is a disturbing thought I've had since I saw it in a movie, but the thoughts actually make me physically ill and I have never harmed anyone or ever wanted to. Is this normal for an OCD sufferer and do I really need to be taken from my son?

Hi,

I am afraid I have no idea what baker act is.  Because we are a UK based website/charity, I assume you are in the US, so you may wish to speak to an American OCD organisation to get help and support.

In this country we do sometimes have problems where social services become involved because of a person's OCD thoughts. It's rare, but does happen, but shouldn't happen.

Because of the legalities of this post, I think you really need to speak to a US organisation for advice.

Ashley/

I've never heard of the Baker Act either. Regardless it sounds like you were treated poorly for having OCD. The nurse clearly didn't know what she was talking about.

OCD is all about intrusive thoughts. She had it wrong, plain and simple.

The thing is, you can't be running off to emergency every time your anxiety goes high. You need a new approach to dealing with your disorder.

Go see your regular doctor. The med of choice for OCD is one of several SSRIs. They help some people with anxiety. But you should also talk about getting a formal diagnosis with an eye to getting Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. 

9 hours ago, paradoxer said:

I'm guessing from what the OP says, that the hospital staff had little understanding of OCD. 

In the UK that is what usually happens.   In most cases like this it is because so called mental health professionals misunderstand the risk associated with OCD.   History is against us really, social services have been involved in some high profile cases where they missed signs of abuse of toddlers leading to the death of toddlers and the social services were savaged by the press.  Since then, many services have become too afraid of getting it wrong and involve other agencies at the first sign of risk, without totally understanding the risk.

I have actually just finished writing an article for the next magazine about a case that occurred here where someone was misunderstood and reported to safeguarding authorities. In that case OCD-UK had to step in and try and resolve, which we did but it took time.

4 hours ago, Ashley said:

In the UK that is what usually happens.   In most cases like this it is because so called mental health professionals misunderstand the risk associated with OCD.   History is against us really, social services have been involved in some high profile cases where they missed signs of abuse of toddlers leading to the death of toddlers and the social services were savaged by the press.  Since then, many services have become too afraid of getting it wrong and involve other agencies at the first sign of risk, without totally understanding the risk.

I have actually just finished writing an article for the next magazine about a case that occurred here where someone was misunderstood and reported to safeguarding authorities. In that case OCD-UK had to step in and try and resolve, which we did but it took time.

That happened to me Ashley when I started having the thoughts, it was an awful time, wasn't allowed to spend the night in my home and it was my son's first Christmas. Awful time, the knock on effect is I've never dared totally open up to mental health professionals since. I believe in many ways that's why I'm still bad (although not as bad as I was as I have a better understanding) but not being able to get proper help has definitely been detrimental.

18 hours ago, Ashley said:

Yes, it's a sad situation that the knowledge among, as you point out, 'so called' health professionals, re OCD is still at this late date often lacking. As difficult as OCD is to grasp, for people in the field a rudimentary understanding should be a given.