Have I made a big mistake?

Hi

I am a teacher in a learning ng support department. My colleague asked me to sort out some work experience for one of her key pupils at a local charity shop. I spoke to the lady in charge and I explained that the pupil was very quiet and shy. The lady in charge said that would not be a problem. The pupil went on a wed essay for the last two weeks a d the lady in charge seemed positive. However Igor a phone call tonight from the lady (she somehow got my home number) saying that the pupil in her opinion was autistic due to her problems with co mmunication. She said she needed more info on Sarah before we could move forward with the work experience. She also said it was going to be hard on the pupil as staff were on a six week rota so each week there would be a different person in charge. I said in response that the pupil was not autistic I also gave my colleagues name and work number to discuss further as I thought it was appropriate to speak to the pupil's  key teacher. I feel guilty to my colleague and really panicked that I wasnt clear enough about the pupils communication difficulties in the first place. I keep going over theconversatio n when I first told the lady about the pupil. I amangry at myself that I might not have been careful or thorough  enough and that the. The placement is going ng to fail and it is allmy fault. Any advice on what I should do next? I am quite panicked about this should I apologise?

That kyou polar bear. I do struggle to not criticise myself. I have felt really bad all day today. I don't work on a Friday so I got up and did activities to try and distract myself. I am really struggling though. I can't stop going over conversations I had with the shop keeper. I feel that I am going to get told off on Monday when I return to work. I am frightened and feel that I have only made my colleagues job harder. I keep crying and my head feels too big for my body. Please, can anyone help?

You've got to stop yourself from going over the thoughts in your head. You do it again and again and it does no good. It only makes you worse. Thinking about it more is not going to bring your anxiety down.

Refuse to get into mind debates over this minor incident. Take a stand that whatever will be will be, there is nothing you can do about it and life goes on.