Life no longer interests me

You keep doing it anyway until some tiny spark does.  There is almost always something that interests you a little bit, whether that's an animal....a dog, a rabbit, a parent, a niece or nephew........there will be something, somewhere that you have "a" feeling about, no matter how small.  Get off your butt and nurture it.....like I've said before, go buy your Dad a bar of chocolate or a pair of shears or a can of beer......Get down the RSPCA and volunteer to walk a dog or muck cages out or donate some old towels.  Just do "something" Bruces, even though you don't feel like it.  It's making the effort to fan the spark of the most futile flame that will make a difference.  Try and put the effort spent pontificating into actually doing.  Sorry if that sounds tough......it's meant to :wink:  Life with any mental health issue is tough but we have to exert self-discipline first (even with extreme apathy being present) to start building on that and reaping small rewards.

What goals are you going to set yourself......even though you mightn't want to?

Guest Bluheela

Realise that you've had a bad day or days and that every human being on the face of this earth will have a down day(s).  And that this does not mean that OCD has won.  Then look for your silver lining.  Mine is reading, writing, movies , sea kayaking and running, but you need to foster little routines.  And little routines can become big routines and will often (not always) bring happiness.  Just a shot.   :)  

Hey man, I've definitely felt this way before. I'm going through a bit of a bad spell at the moment, but you know what? I had a good 3 or so years where I felt great. Like Caramoole said, you just keep on living until you find yourself smiling again. Trust me, you WILL come out of this! Check out this comic (?) about depression. I found it to be pretty close to how I felt at one time, and it also made me laugh! The other comics on there are hilarious as well.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2011/10/adventures-in-depression.html

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2013/05/depression-part-two.html

Edited by constantworrier1989
Added link to part two of comic

You can fix the problems Bruces, so that's good news.  It might not be instant or even quick but you can improve things.....but you have to be proactive in starting the ball rolling.

What things have you tried to do to make some changes?

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 01:49, bruces said:

What do you do when life no logger holds any interest for you? 

I have spent the entire weekend working or wasting it watching TV, with no real friends to go out and enjoy the weekend with and wonder why I am treading water. But that was a fleeting thought, my second thought was 'stop feeling so bloody sorry for yourself Ashley and do something about it if you don't like it'.  So I have started creating a list of places to go and visit, things to go and do every Sunday so that I am forcing myself to take at least one day off every Sunday.

The point is, if you are not happy with life, do something about it and if that does not work do something else.

Out of interest, do you feel this way because of OCD?

I still do things I went out with my friends on Friday night but I just felt numb and nothing whereas I used to be able to enjoy it,I have a few self help books people have rev commended but never seem to finish them! 

I wasn't really recommending OCD self-help books, I was recommending 'Compassionate Mind' by Paul Gilbert. You ask us what we do when we feel life sucks, I have to ask you Bruces what do you do?

Hi Bruces,

The book Ashley recommended is available on Audible (audio books by Amazon).  Maybe it would be easier to listen to the book.  If you don't yet have an account, they offer the first book free when you sign up.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Self-Development/The-Compassionate-Mind-Audiobook/B00D7EU8BM/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srImg?qid=1472507995&sr=1-1

You're looking for a quick-fix again Bruces. Unfortunately these things don't exist, and probably never will exist because the human body is so complex. 

It's not just mental-health conditions that don't have a quick-fix, magic button to solve them, but many physical conditions too. My mum is type-1 diabetic and has had to take 3 insulin injections daily since the age of 12, as well as having various other complications, which have sometimes been serious, and many hospital stays due to the illness throughout her life. There is no cure for it and no-quick fix. She just has to keep on going and manage as best as she can. That's what we have to do with mental health conditions too. There are always things we can do to improve our situation and help us on the road to recovery. I don't mean to sound harsh but all I see from you is posts talking about how low you feel and how awful your life seems to be. Many people have suggested things you can do to help yourself, even really small steps, but you often just ignore them. I don't know what else you expect us to do for you on this forum otherwise.

Hi Bruce,

I was totally desperate as you are, I was thinking that deep brain stimulation was the only solution but finally I found a CBT therapist. I had my first Skype session with her yesterday. I can assure you that I changed my mind, I understood a lot only from one hour session. I know it's hard, very hard but it's possible. Try to find a good therapist, it really can help.
Caroline

Hi i often feel this way i have ocd and ms and depression but i have 2 girls to look after. I used to be asking questions on here a lot as a few probably know but i don`t really now as you do really have to do it yourself unfortunately there is not really any help for ocd i know other than helping yourself and you have to try and keep busy and tell yourself that it is not real just thoughts and it cannot hurt you in any way. I have wished lots over the years that was more help for ocd and other mental health issues but there is nothing it really in the end comes down to doing it yourself and having the stregnth to get better. I have bad days still but know if i don`t fight it noone else will do it for me, My family have never understood, Not sure how they can i don`t really know why i think this way either. I hope you can fight this but i know it bloody hard to do i don`t think anyone without ocd will ever know how hard it is but try and believe in yourself and try as hard as you can to get better co really noone wil do it for you in the end you have to fight this horrible illness yourself,

All the best

Joanne

3 hours ago, bruces said:

I just wish we could all live disease free. 

:dry: 

That wasn't another wishful thinking sentence I just heard you utter ,was it Bruce? :nono:   How many times do you need to be reminded it's not only a waste of time but actually harmful to your recovery process?

Get back to working on 'acceptance'! 

The world isn't perfect; accept the fact and stop wasting energy wishing for things that don't need to happen for life to be good.

Focus on what you can change. Leave the wishful thinking to the imaginary fairies and their imaginary magic wands. 

So this excellent suggestion was offered.

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 23:00, photog13 said:

Hi Bruces,

The book Ashley recommended is available on Audible (audio books by Amazon).  Maybe it would be easier to listen to the book.  If you don't yet have an account, they offer the first book free when you sign up.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Self-Development/The-Compassionate-Mind-Audiobook/B00D7EU8BM/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srImg?qid=1472507995&sr=1-1

Which was followed up but this.

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 03:23, bruces said:

Isn't there any kind of new treatment like brain surgery available? 

As others have said, you are seeking short cut solutions (which are unlikely to be effective anyway).  So in the last 48 hours have you thought anymore about at least ordering the audio version of the book if not the book itself?