Happy Tree Friends

Guest sybdemp

Guest sybdemp

First off I want to state I feel horrible that I'm not active.  I'll try to be.

So I was with my friend today hanging out, and she put on Happy Tree Friends.  I watched it and it started out minor, but I still couldn't see the appeal.  And then a helicopter landed on the little animals and their heads flew off and they were covered in blood and organs.  I cannot get the visual out of my head, it's freaking me out.  I did have her turn it off and change it to something else but I can't stop thinking about it.  What should I do to get this out of my head? :( 

Edited by Ashley
Removed trigger warning - not used or needed on our forums

Firstly, I don't think writing a trigger warning is useful, since there are many who wouldn't be upset at what you describe, and with OCD life is full of 'triggers' anyway. Re not thinking about the image you describe, the best way is to be ready to actually think about it more (in terms of indifference). Let the image come into your mind for a second at a time - you can't stop it anyway - not should you try. But don't ruminate about it. 

Guest sybdemp

Thanks! I thought it was so disturbing.  In my mind it was one of the worst things I've ever seen, wanted to warn people about it in advance.  I just feel so disturbed and it's been on my mind for the past 3 hours.  I can't get it out of my mind and it's making my head hurt.  Even my mom commented that my eyes look awful.  I think it's from seeing the gore.  I just can't get it out of my head.  I tried distracting myself with something else and it didn't work.

4 hours ago, sybdemp said:

I tried distracting myself with something else and it didn't work.

Distracting will never work with OCD.

At this stage, is it even an OCD issue though? Ok, you saw something graphic and gory that you did not like, is it not normal for people to fixate and focus on that for a few days even for people without OCD?

But, if it is OCD in that you are both obsessing over it and doing some kind of compulsion then no, distracting rarely works for long. Paradoxer is right, one of the key ways to challenge intrusive thoughts is to bring them back on, in your case even watch it again. However, that in itself is hard to do if you have not had any support or undergone any form of CBT to help you re-interpret and access the information and understand how OCD works and what the purpose of watching it again would be.

So there is a solution, but I am not sure if you have the tools to apply that yet or if additional therapy is needed, that's your call :) 

Guest sybdemp

Thanks! I'm too scared to bring it back in.  I was up all night thinking about it, but finally had fallen asleep.  I'm now not as scared thinking about it as I was yesterday.  Hopefully I forget about this by the end of the week.

Hang in there.  You will get over it in time.  As Ashley says, even people without OCD might experience flashbacks to unsettling ideas and images before they relinquish their power in the mind.  I have seen "Happy Tree Friends".  I have a friend with a quite vicious sense of humour who used to watch it.  But as someone with a soft side, and a collection of soft toys etc, I also found it upsetting.  It will go if you allow the thoughts into your mind and try not to react to them.  Their power will wane and you will be able to move on and think of something else. 

:)

Guest sybdemp
On 8/28/2016 at 22:51, Tez said:

Hang in there.  You will get over it in time.  As Ashley says, even people without OCD might experience flashbacks to unsettling ideas and images before they relinquish their power in the mind.  I have seen "Happy Tree Friends".  I have a friend with a quite vicious sense of humour who used to watch it.  But as someone with a soft side, and a collection of soft toys etc, I also found it upsetting.  It will go if you allow the thoughts into your mind and try not to react to them.  Their power will wane and you will be able to move on and think of something else. 

:)

Thank you so much :) I took your advice (and the other posters' too) and it worked! I'm no longer worried about it and can think about it without it getting stuck in my head.