Feeling at a loss

Guest m_7788

Guest m_7788

Hello everyone

I have had certain obsessions that come and go throughout my life. However, within the past few years (I am now in my early 20's) they have gotten excessive and at times just out of control. This has included anything from ruminations over death to excessive memory hoarding, to doing math problems and counting, comparing situations, fear of other mental disorders, echoing the ends of my sentences in my head, justifying why I did something, thinking I'm not understanding things or didn't experience something "correctly" and other other weird habbits such as moving my eyes in one direction over and over, just to name a literal few. I would be lying to say that I have not used alcohol to cover these things up more than I should, and I just landed myself a dui this past weekend, which finally pushed me to talk to somebody about this.

Anyway, I am finally meeting with a counselor next week. For the time being, I can now only think about the charge I face and what my family will think, and so my other symptoms have been fairly suppressed. However, I know that when this finally stops bringing me anxiety in awhile, obsessions and strange (primarily mental) complusions will arise again.

This is primarily just me venting because I have never told a single person about any of this, because I've never been able to understand what these are symptoms of until recently, and I've been too embarrassed.

Edited by m_7788

Thank you for the response. Do you have any advice about how to tell family about this? The last thing I want is for them to treat me differently, and I don't want them to worry a bunch about it because that will then make me worry about them on top of everything else.

Keep it simple. Tell them you think you have OCD. Tell them you have intrusive thoughts that make you do compulsions. Tell them it's been bothering you for s long time now but you're determined to get help. That's about it. Let the conversation go on from there.