OCD Mythbusters

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'With good therapy people can and do recover from OCD to live happy and healthy lives.'

Just stick with this Ashley, it is an incredibly fair statement, it does not say everybody gets better and we all know people who have fully recovered. This is about busting the myth that you have to just live with OCD as it is. 

1 minute ago, Gemma7 said:

'With good therapy people can and do recover from OCD to live happy and healthy lives.'

Just stick with this Ashley, it is an incredibly fair statement, it does not say everybody gets better and we all know people who have fully recovered. This is about busting the myth that you have to just live with OCD as it is. 

I must admit I don't have a problem with the statement and only make any suggestion because there still seems some doubt but as you say Gemma, I think it is probably covered by the use of the word "can".  Stick with it :)

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 16:08, Ashley said:

Myth: OCD can't be cured
Mythbuster: With good therapy people can and do recover from OCD to live happy and healthy lives.

I am just bringing this back up because I want to get it right and not leave anybody uncomfortable with this myth.  Our designer have created a great graphic to illustrate them all, so I just need to get this wording confirmed this weekend.

What about if we add the word 'some' does that make the required difference or does it add more negativity to the text?

Myth: OCD can't be cured
Mythbuster: With good therapy 'some' people can and do recover from OCD to live happy and healthy lives.

I think I am ruminating on this to try and please everyone... but I am guessing whatever I do, whatever text I go with then some will not be happy.

35 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I think I am ruminating on this to try and please everyone... but I am guessing whatever I do, whatever text I go with then some will not be happy.

I think you are overthinking this. With 'some' the mythbuster loses impact. I also haven't seen anyone say they don't like it, only suggestions in case anyone doesn't.

Try to think what message you would like to give to those who are new to OCD whether it be sufferer or friend/family and the general public, then go with your instinct on this one :)

22 minutes ago, Jaques Melancholy said:

You see, this is the exact reason why I think (haven't said it yet on this forum) that doing awareness and advocacy work should be best left to mental health professionals, and not us, the mentally ill!

No other mental illness has so many advocates or whatever as OCD does – just do a bit of online searching for books, websites and blogs. Hmm... I "wonder why"...

Jaques,

If that is your opinion, which I respect your right to hold even though I disagree with it, then I am not sure this forum is for you then, in fact I know it isn't. This charity certainly is not for you either, because OCD-UK is entirely run by people with the condition, so effectively you are saying the charity should not exist and should be left to charity's run by health professionals.   I actually think we have not done a bad job over the years, and without OCD-UK I can assure you at least three other organisations would not exist today, all of which are helping people, that's a great legacy we have considering we are just 'sufferers'.  But you're wrong, lots of mental health conditions have multiple services and organisations supporting them. There are multiple general anxiety websites/charities for example.

In this situation I am strong enough to make the decision even if I will upset people, but I am also strong enough to acknowledge I am ruminating over it. I am also smart enough to reach out and ask for guidance from my peers. Nothing wrong with that.  It is only wrong when it becomes show stopping, which it isn't, it's making me think things through carefully and consult with my wonderful support network on here.

1 minute ago, Jaques Melancholy said:

You believe that "the end justifies the means" and in "the greatest good for the greatest number" (utilitarianism) – that sacrificing your own mental health is 'okay' as long as it helps others.

But you haven't thought about one thing: what if the other people will follow your own example?

Like Polarbear said a few weeks ago, you're 'assuming' a lot and you know what assume does? It makes an ASS out of U and Me.  I am not sacrificing my health on this issue at all, read above I made it clear this is something I am ruminating on, but not all rumination is negative if it is not show stopping. You're also assuming I think greater number means better, I don't.

Ever since you joined our forum have detected a sense you have an ulterior motive, but I can't quite put my finger on it.  Now I am the one assuming, so let me ask you directly, what is your reason for being here? 

I wasn't referring to your question, I ignored that.

Looking through this thread, your contributions have added nothing but disruption, so perhaps you need to take a closer look at your own involvement in our forums.

4 hours ago, Jaques Melancholy said:

You see, this is the exact reason why I think (haven't said it yet on this forum) that doing awareness and advocacy work should be best left to mental health professionals, and not us, the mentally ill.

That would be great if mental health professionals stepped up to the plate, did the advocacy work, offered online forums and gave up their time freely to answer the questions of people who are suffering, free of charge. But they don't.

There are not enough qualified CBT therapists out there who are schooled in the ways of OCD. Access is difficult for many people. But accessing good information online is easy.

On 25/09/2016 at 16:08, Ashley said:

Myth: Everybody has a bit of OCD 
Mythbuster: Only 1-2% of people have OCD but due to misrepresentation by the media it is regularly confused with people liking things a 'certain' way. 

It's the editor in me so please forgive me, but quotes around 'certain' is grammatically incorrect. I'm not so anally retentive on having things a certain way that I'll insist you change it if you don't want to :tongue: but please consider my suggestion to leave them off. 

Setting grammar aside, I think it just distracts from the flow of the sentence rather than emphasising the 'particular' nature of the problem. (See what I mean?)