Hi I'm new to the forum. My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with o.c.d. In June. She starts c.b.t tomorrow. But a few weeks ago her obsessing of washing hands has got worse. She's constantly washing hands. Her hands are really sore. Red. Chapped. There awful. But it's got to the point where she thinks germs are on her clothes. Hair. And basically everywhere. We can't have anyone come in the house as she thinks they will bring germs. One of her friends bag touched her leg. So she had to wash her leg for fear of germs. When she gets undressed at night if her top touches her lip she has to wash her lip. It's really bad. Where now she won't go in school because of the fear of germs. She said she doesn't need friends. Because that way they can't give her germs. It's really heartbreaking as a parent to see your child go through this. Especially when there's nothing you can do or say to help her. I'm out my mind with worry. I just want my happy daughter back 

Hi Mrs Porter.   It's heartbreaking to see your child in such distress I know but it's good she starts her cbt tm to find a way forward. It's important she realises she is not alone and many people have similar compulsions. Children with similar issues have been a massive support for my daughter over the years. It might be her school friends don't understand her issues currently or even she hasn't been comfortable to express them to her friends properly yet. Cbt will help with all this . She can not help her fears and sometimes talking about the compulsions in third party can prevent her from beating herself up over guilty feelings and self loathing. It's not her being annoying it's the Ocd (sometimes children give it a name to refer to the Ocd. Like Betty say. Then you can talk about suggesting Betty isn't listened to on this occasion when she has a Compulsion you feel she might be able control. It can help her to not blame herself because it's Betty's fault not hers) I went through a few years of nobody coming in the house but now my daughter manages safe areas so they people in but not to her room etc. Cbt is not a miracle worker but it will help and set you on the road to making things manageable for all the family. Good luck x 

18 hours ago, Atina said:

Hi Mrs Porter.   It's heartbreaking to see your child in such distress I know but it's good she starts her cbt tm to find a way forward. It's important she realises she is not alone and many people have similar compulsions. Children with similar issues have been a massive support for my daughter over the years. It might be her school friends don't understand her issues currently or even she hasn't been comfortable to express them to her friends properly yet. Cbt will help with all this . She can not help her fears and sometimes talking about the compulsions in third party can prevent her from beating herself up over guilty feelings and self loathing. It's not her being annoying it's the Ocd (sometimes children give it a name to refer to the Ocd. Like Betty say. Then you can talk about suggesting Betty isn't listened to on this occasion when she has a Compulsion you feel she might be able control. It can help her to not blame herself because it's Betty's fault not hers) I went through a few years of nobody coming in the house but now my daughter manages safe areas so they people in but not to her room etc. Cbt is not a miracle worker but it will help and set you on the road to making things manageable for all the family. Good luck x 

Hi atina. My daughters case worker from camhs came to the house this morning to re assess her. She has put her in tier 3. She needs long term help.so she needs to make a referral . After speaking alone with my daughter. She realises how serious her problems are. But her case worker will still do therapy with her until she gets the appointment. Thanks for replying. At the moment as a parent you feel alone dealing with this x

Try not to worry about the missing school aspect. You have to prioritise and whilst you can discuss with the school options that may make it easier (i.e. Reduced timetable) it may be she's not able to cope with that at the moment. Her therapist may have to work with her on that one and home schooling may be only option currently. Not ideal I know and I don't know your personal circumstances. You worrying will. It help her. My daughter missed a year from school( although was older) and has. Ow completed her degree. You worrying will not help her. Easier said than done I know. It's good she realises how serious things are and she has started getting help. X

On 25 September 2016 at 19:51, Atina said:

Try not to worry about the missing school aspect. You have to prioritise and whilst you can discuss with the school options that may make it easier (i.e. Reduced timetable) it may be she's not able to cope with that at the moment. Her therapist may have to work with her on that one and home schooling may be only option currently. Not ideal I know and I don't know your personal circumstances. You worrying will. It help her. My daughter missed a year from school( although was older) and has. Ow completed her degree. You worrying will not help her. Easier said than done I know. It's good she realises how serious things are and she has started getting help. X

Hi again atina. My daughter was rea-assessed lastweek as she was getting worse. She is tier 3 category now at camhs. Her case worker says she needs long term help .So she's been referred just got an appointment through she has to wait till the beginning of November to be seen. It's an absolute joke. This is a long time to wait. as she needs treatment now. She was heartbroken lAstnight as she is sick of the Ocd . Just wants it to go away. I'm worried as to her getting worse. She was prescribed beta blockers but she had side effects off them so she stopped taking them. Don't know what to do at all now x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest julie_harrington564

Hi I'm new to this forum, my name is Julie. My son is 14 and has OCD. Sometimes he's not able to leave his bedroom as he can't touch the carpet with his feet and can only touch it with shoes on the once. He also has a thing for the number 4 and multiples of 4. He is under Camhs and is having CBT and is also taking Sertraline and other medication as well as he has developed tics also with his anxiety. I also have OCD and have been on medication for 21 years and mine is under control. Although we have bad times and school has been a huge problem but they have been fantastic and very understanding. We try to make the best of things and I think that understanding the problem helps a lot as I know how he is feeling. I always tell him that there is light at the end of the tunnel, because there is. I was in a very dark place when I was in my twenties but with help and certainly medication I am now no different to anybody else. It upsets me to see him suffering, but I know that it will get better with time, so just bear that in mind when you feel that there is no help, because there is. x

• 3 weeks later...