Getting the Right Therapy?

I went to a new therapist yesterday because my previous one had been transferred elsewhere to a new role. I was relieved at the timing of the appointment as I was in a bad place. The previous time I had attended there was a doctor there who diagnosed me with OCD and asked the therapist to refer me for CBT for OCD then and there. He advised me that there was a few months of a waiting list but that I would benefit from it greatly. 

When I attended yesterday the lady asked me everything all over again,right down to the type of medication I was on and how this extreme anxiety had all started. I know she probably wanted to get her own interpretation of things but to me it got to the stage when it felt as if she hadn't read my notes at all and I was starting all over again. When I mentioned a previous abuse incident in my past she immediately stopped me and said that this was the root of all my problems and that I would have to seek therapy from Nexus before progressing any further with therapy with the community mental health team. This baffled me as I had mentioned this before to the previous therapist and when I asked if my name was on the CBT waiting list she said that it wasn't as of yet. This frustrated me as I know the  waiting list is so long. So I just don't know what to do now. Ifeel like this incident of abuse was obviously very traumatic but deep down I feel like there is OCD at play and that even when I was a child I had these tendencies and from what I've been told CBT is the only way to properly control it now that it has got to this level. Should I ask to get a second opinion from another therapist? 

HI Oceanblue,

Are you in Wales or Scotland rather than England?  You mentioned a CMHT which usually in England we start with a local IAPT service first. 

3 hours ago, Oceanblue said:

I know she probably wanted to get her own interpretation of things but to me it got to the stage when it felt as if she hadn't read my notes at all and I was starting all over again.

This came up at my support group last month when a few people felt it annoying they had to go through it all again.  If I am honest, I sometimes think it is better if a therapist doesn't read our notes, and actually chats to us first to get their own interpretation as you say and then read the notes after to ensure nothing was missed.

I am not sure what Nexus is either, but you are right when it comes to OCD then CBT therapy is the treatment of choice, even when previous traumatic events have been the likely cause. 

I can't really advise your best approach without knowing where you are (and I am working away next week so I wont be on the forum but you can always message me and I will reply when I can.  But yes, I think you should talk to your GP and insist on CBT as per the recommendations for the treatment of OCD.

Ashley :)

Thank you Ashley. I am based in Northern Ireland so I know things are probably slightly different here with regard to mental health services etc. I will schedule an appointment with my GP this week and try my best to push the CBT route. Thank you for your help.

Ok that makes sense now, thanks for explaining Oceanblue.   I have done a little work in Northern Ireland, so CBT should still be the main focus of treatment with OCD.  Speak to your GP and if they still insist on something other than CBT let me know and I will seek advice for you.

Ashley.