OCD Awareness Week - Poster advice

Hello again all,

We need a little more feedback to help get the wording on a poster correct. For OCD Awareness Week, a designer kindly offered to help and created some posters for us in collaboration with a new mental health charity (The Shaw Mind Foundation).

Below is one of three design's which we will have printed, and this one highlights the D in OCD means disorder.

Poster.jpg

Yesterday I posted what I thought (hoped) would be a simple question to clarify the best wording for the middle line, which is best to describe OCD, a serious mental health condition (as shown) or mental health illness.

A fair few comments followed, one of which was the suggestion to use mental health problem.

Amongst the views I have had is that it's not an illness (that was technical from a professional), and that 'health problem' is not appropriate English.  So what do you think? Which is the best wording we should use?

The purpose of the poster is to raise awareness to an audience that might be an audience that misuse the OCD term, to help them understand that OCD is a serious??????????????????????

I need to make a decision by tomorrow to send them to print midweek. I don't want to get too caught up on semantics so unless a clear majority decision is reached I will go with condition, but thoughts welcomed to come to a decision the majority of us are comfortable with.  

Guest alex-online

I like the poster as it is above. 

Edit: I feel like there are so many conditions out there and if you put too much about it saying delibitating etc. people just think oh another one! Unlike if you keep it simple but important and punchy people might want to find out more? I don't know sorry, probably useless info. 

Edited by alex-online
13 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Thanks guys.  Is there any mileage in adding serious 'and debilitating' before mental health condition, or should we keep simple and leave as is?

Hi Ashley, 

Personally I think both are fine, however a serious and debilitating mental health condition will stand out stronger when people read it, and that is exactly what OCD is serious and debilitating. 

1 minute ago, jimangie1973 said:

I agree with adding "serious and debilitating".  I'm convinced most people have no idea the torture life with OCD can be.

Spot on jimange it's both serious and debiltltating and people need to become aware of how bad this condition really is.

That's for feedback all. I will make the changes and stick with condition I think.

If anybody would like to get involved by displaying the posters in their workplace, uni or school (with permission) then please send me your postal addy and I will send some posters out to you.