Intrusive thoughts, Is this normal?

hello, new here.

I have an phobia of certain body hair, i have weird intrusive thoughts based off this but could be other things aswell, it is hard however i am starting to accept these unwanted thoughts.

It can be really distressing and can make me feel physically sick. i also say to myself "am i doing doing things differently because of these thoughts" makes me ruminate on the subject and can remind me to go and do something which really scares me. for example, "am i going to the gym today" "did i just think about that because of these thoughts" - start to ruminate on the thoughts (makes me think about the gym and what im going to do there etc) and now feel like im doing these things because i ruminated on these disgusting thoughts. is this normal?

Hi :) I would say everything you have written is completely normal. I am assuming this is OCD because you are asking for reassurance (compulsion). You are also ruminating (compulsion). My advice would be to do actions that align with your values no matter what your OCD throws at you. That is much more worthwhile than performing compulsions. If you value going to the gym go to the gym. If you value seeing your friends go do that. If you have a really weird/odd/quirky/not right/freaky/disgusting/sickly/scary feeling...that is fine. Practice feeling that feeling. A big part of OCD is interpreting feelings as being important, or trying to avoid them, or change them. But this actually makes them stick around longer. See those weird feelings as a perfect opportunity to practice accepting exactly how you feel, then do a behaviour you value. Also look into CBT and ERP if you haven't already - gold standard therapies :)

Thanks for your'e reply and advice!, i will take it on board, i do find acceptance is the key and feel a lot better when i do so (still very hard) but i understand its not going to change overnight. I am currently awaiting an appointment re-guarding CBT :)

Guest Han1987

Hi. I used to be tortued by intrusive thoughts. It May sound silly but I started combatting The thoughts by Almost seperating The thoughts as being my own and repeating shut up evil mind 3 times and The thought would go. Took some time but worked for me. I guess judging The thought May not be helpful long run but i think The ritual of associating repeating The phrase 3 times with the thought going away became more important with The content of that phrase. This helped stop all The other secondary feelings after such as guilt feeling dirty. 

Guest Han1987

I understand what u you are saying, however replacing The intrusión with a less distressing compulsion was one step toward recovery for me. It helped  reduce The re engagement with The thoughts and secondary emotions. Eventually I didnt need to repeat anything The thoughts Just didnt come.