Triggered by OCD book

I was reading a snippet of the book The Man Who Couldn't Stop: OCD and the True Story of a Life Lost in Thought and it triggered anxiety. It mentioned that some people experience unpleasant thoughts in a different way. That some people don't find the idea of hurting someone ego-dystonic and they go on to act on their thoughts. It also mentioned some exhibitionist that recurring intrusive thoughts about being identified and arrested in front of his wife and kid.  Oh man this triggered so much fear and I don't know why. And know I'm having intrusive thoughts based on things that the author mentioned in the book that criminals believed.

I have not fully read the book, to be honest the bits I did read I was not enjoying, so it's still on my 'to read' pile.  I am not sure how including that explanation in an OCD book is overly helpful, but by the same token it is not the book that is causing your obsessions and anxiety to increase, it is your OCD. 

It's important to say that just because some people might be happy to hurt other people, does not mean you will hurt someone.  For example, I often have the urge to want to punch certain people in the head (not anyone on here I should add), but just because I have the thought, and would quite like to punch someone like Donald Trump does not mean I am actually going to do it, even if the opportunity arose.

21 minutes ago, aangel232 said:

Oh man this triggered so much fear and I don't know why.

As mentioned above, it's triggered you because you're still in the grip of OCD :)

So, what next? What can you do about it so that one day you can read such books, and even if the words are distasteful to you does not lead to an increase in anxiety and obsessions?

Thanks, I've been trying to remind that when I read stuff like that or I come across new reports about people doing terrible things that it has nothing to do with me. I'm trying not to turn this into a compulsion. I'm still practicing at getting out of my head and moving on instead of ruminating.