Mum of 15yr old with ocd

Hi,   my 15 yr old son suffers with OCD badly! ...he has been attending CAHMS now for many months and hasn't been diagnosed as yet but they think he has ADHD also... his Physciatrist recently prescribed him with methylphenidate 5mg twice daily, I have read that ocd suffers shouldn't be prescribed this particular medication as it could make his ocd worse, is anyone else on this medication who has ocd?  He has terrible anger issues and day to day life is an awful struggle for him and us all as a family,  over the years I've been on anti depressants myself as I've found it very difficult to cope with him.. I have come off them but I am starting to struggle to cope with him again!   The first two weeks after starting his meds he was like a differant person for the first time in 13 yrs but now it's gone bck to way it's always been.. I can't say anything to him or even look at him without him flying off the handle!!  I wish I could wave a magic wand and make him better.. I feel that we are not getting anyway with cahms although they are lovely people that we deal with, it's just very hard to deal with him ..  problem is now his therapist has left yesterday and he has to go back on the waiting list for a new one!. any tips from any parents in the same situation would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Sarah

Methylphenidate is otherwise known as Ritalin. It is not for OCD. I've never heard of it being prescribed for OCD. It can be prescribed for ADHD.

Others here know more about the UK mental healthcare system so they can help you more. For sure he needs to be properly diagnosed so you, he and his primary healthcare providers know what is going on and so a treatment plan can be started.

Hi, thanks for the reply ..he has been diagnosed with OCD but they think he has ADHD also that's why they've prescribed the ritalin... I'm just worrying the ritalin could make his ocd worse after reading that it could.  I will speak to his Physciatrist and see what he says but was just wondering if anyone else's child with same issues were taking methylphenidate ie ritalin.

Hi Sarah,

Sorry to hear your son is suffering like this. It must be very hard for you as a mum to deal with.

Usually if there are two illnesses going on at the same time, the Dr will decide which should be treated as the primary and which, the secondary.

By what you have written it seems like the OCD is what is greatly effecting your sons quality of life at the moment.

You can ask for a 2nd opinion. You don't have to settle for what this particular psychiatrist has said.

Hope this helps a bit. Sorry I don't have any advice regarding the adhd side of things x