OCPD

Guest Perfectionist

Guest Perfectionist

Hi, I have been diagnosed with OCPD ICD10 F60.5 and although I also have some OCD traits, I do understand it is a separate illness to OCD. However, just wondering if there is anyone here with the same diagnosis?

Hiya,

I think quite a few people are diagnosed with OCD and OCPD, including the chair of our charity.  I am not sure about OCPD, I believe some experts consider it the same as OCD and treat it the same (often with success).

Are you getting any support and treatment?

Ashley.

Guest Perfectionist

Hi Ashley,

Many thanks for replying.

Been a journey for me, always thought I had ADD (having and big problems with attention, but with no hyper-activity) and decided 5 years ago (at 50) to find out, 12 months later was told no to ADD! Was then sent for suspected Aspergers, another 24 month wait and the local ASD expert Prof Critchley, said nope! Then another 12 months and after seeing Neurologist after an MRI scan (as I also have Dysexecutive functioning), but no (thank God) no tumor! 

Then asked for my medical history after getting a little frustrated and discovered that some time ago was diagnosed with Anankastic Personality Disorder ICD10 F60.5, which I understand is better known as OCPD. I have no memory of being tested, let alone of being told of this diagnosis, but it is there, in black and white, on the original referral for ADD!

I am obviously aware of OCD, but had never heard of OCPD, but straight away came across an excellent video on YouTube by Prof. Naomi Fineberg, who appears to be the UK expert in OCPD and who explains the illness really well and hey presto, it explains me to a tee, including the impaired executive function!

I just feel incredibly let down by my local NHS Trust and feel I have lost 5 years (that I don't have) by being sent to well meaning Consultants in different disciplines, when I already had a diagnosis that I ended up having to discover for myself and so to further answer your last question Ashley, no I am not being helped for this and don't even really know where to start!

Alan

I remember an OCD expert we work with once spoke about OCPD at a conference and what he said was that he felt OCD and OCPD are pretty much the same. He did an experiment with x number of patients with OCD only and same number with OCD/OCPD and treated them the same (CBT).  They were shocked at the results because they assumed those with just OCD would do better, but in fact those with OCPD responded better in the trials.

They surmised that the perfectionist aspect of those with OCPD meant that once they accepted they needed the treatment, their perfectionist traits meant they focussed better at therapy.

But that aside, start with your GP and ask them to refer you to your local mental health services for CBT therapy. If local services don't work then I would suggest fighting (you will have to push the local NHS to fund it) to get a referral to the Centre for Anxiety Disorders and Trauma (CADAT) in SE London. If you do need to go there and get the funding it's pretty easy to get to from where you are (I live local), train to Sevenoaks and then change for a train to Denmark Hill, takes about 1hr 15min if catch trains right. 

Guest Perfectionist

Hi again Ashley,

Many thanks for replying again.

Sorry, I should have said that as part of the journey I did receive 17 1hr sessions of CBT from my local Health Trust, the OCPD diagnosis wasn't bought up once and they just dealt with some very self destructive coping strategies I had from childhood. What angers me, is that on many occasions I have asked for a diagnosis, any diagnosis and I have been told, I don't have one and that "...it's just the way you are, get on with it! I have have also asked about medication and have been told on many occasions, there are none!

Then I find out, I have a diagnosis and there is help!

I think my GP is sick of the sight of me and I have pretty much increased my own repeat prescription for Citolopram from 10mg to 40mg without him even questioning it, but I will ask about CADAT, thank you for the suggestion Ashley.

Alan