Just found out I have OCD

Guest Alex2

Hi everyone,

My name is Alex I'm 23 and found out last week I have OCD, probably BDD as well. I was and still am not completely aware about what OCD is and how to deal with it. After having a very big body change (that I am able to control now), I started being obsessed about any change on my body, real or not. So, at the moment, I am not able to spend an hour of my life not thinking about it. My biggest concern is that maybe I do not have OCD and my body is actually "dying" and I'm the only one who can see it.

I have started CBT about two weeks ago and it was my psychologist who told me this could be OCD and obviously extremely high anxiety levels. This is starting to consume my days and I've not been able to fully enjoy a single moment of my life since then. If I could control this thoughts, I would say everything goes well, job, relationships, etc.

I have always been able to control myself and deal with my problems but after this started to happen I feel that I can separate what is real and what is not, if it is my mind playing with me. When this happens, I try to create many different ways to make it go away or to make this condition disappear, for example: "If I don't do this, that will happen". Also, I keep checking myself and looking for changes constantly.

I think it is worth to say that since I have started reading about OCD, I believe that this condition has been present in my life for much longer, probably since I'm a kid.

At this moment, I am really confused and don't know what to think about it or myself, I don't know how to help myself, I feel trapped. Is there anything you guys would advice me to do? Anything important I need to know?

Thank you in advance! :)

Hey Alex. Welcome to the forum.

Finding out you probably have ocd can be a scary proposition. On the other hand, it probably answers some questions for you about why the way you are.

It's good to learn about OCD, what it is, how it manifests, what obsessions and compulsions are. The main OCD-UK website has quite a lot of information on that subject. You should also get a good understanding of what Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is. CBT is the gold standard treatment for OCD. 

To that end, you may want to get your hands on a good book that explains all. The most recommended book here is Break Free From OCD. 

Of course, we'll be around to try and answer any questions you have.

At this point understand that you are not alone and that you can get better from OCD. It's not a life sentence.

Thank you for your answer. Yes, it is good to know that it can be my mind and I don't have to live with this thoughts for the rest of my life.

Also, thank you for the book recommendation :) when I found this website I did feel much better and could see things from a different perspective. I really want to learn more and know how to deal with this. I have already started CBT so hopefully it will work for me as well.

Thank you again for your response!