Thread deletion request

Guest tigerlady

Hi,

I am not sure I am prepared to delete your topic. This is the third account in as many weeks, you post then what the topics deleted. I fear this is a compulsion, but equally as mentioned before, you should perhaps only post when you are confident and comfortable to post.

Guest tigerlady

I am sorry for asking for so many thread deletions, but I don't think it is a compulsion, I just want to move on. But, I'll stop posting for now.

Edited by tigerlady
1 hour ago, tigerlady said:

I don't think it is a compulsion, I just want to move on.

Hi tigerlady. 

Moving on doesn't require deletion of everything you've said or done in the past. Wishing to erase the path you took to get to 'here' is always a compulsion. 

Moving on is about accepting the past is part of what got you to where you are now. Good or bad, pleasant or uncomfortable, without that experience you wouldn't be 'here'.

Then starting from 'here' you optimistically put your best foot forward and start again with that past experience under your belt - and you learn to be comfortable with having it there.

That's what 'moving on' means.  

The compulsion to erase anything uncomfortable from your past is a sign that you've not yet come to terms with it, not yet accepted it simply as another experience on the wonderful journey of life. If accepting there are 'imperfections' in your past is a struggle you may find it helpful to do some cognitive work to address that perfectionist thinking.

Think of each thread you feel uncomfortable about that isn't deleted as 'exposure therapy'. As time passes and the posts fall off the top of the board you may begin to realise life is like that too - the past doesn't matter half as much as you think. And after a while nobody remembers it or cares about it but you, so you can quietly let it drop and get on with living - that's moving on. :) 

Guest tigerlady

Huh. I didn't think of it like that. But, I like how you put it, as just a piece of life. 

You're right. I should leave it up there.

Thank you for explaining it like that, SnowBear. You're always so calm and gentle when you help people. You'd make a good therapist!