Is this helping or hurting me?

Guest tigerlady

Guest tigerlady

Whenever I'm feeling anxious, or need a distraction from OCD, I come here, and read different threads.

It helps bring my anxiety down, but I worry that it'll become a compulsion, and that it's not actually helping.

Which would really suck, not only because it would hinder recovery, but also because I like hearing stories about people going through the same stuff as me.

Should I cut back?

Guest tigerlady

I also worry about becoming addicted to this site. I do struggle with addiction (I was addicted to Tumblr for a long time) and I can feel the same tendencies creeping up here.

1 hour ago, tigerlady said:

I'll try. But, I've tried it before, and it's hard.

Setting boundaries and sticking to them requires self-discipline. Like everything else in life, the more you practise it the easier it gets. :) 

Do you have regular times for getting up and going to bed? Do you make yourself exercise when it's raining, or cook a healthy meal when you're tired? People who struggle to be disciplined in other areas of life tend to struggle with resisting compulsions too. 

Practise 'keeping to the rules' in other aspects of your life for a few months. You'll probably find that developing a healthy self-discipline spills over and benefits your OCD too. Win-win. :) 

Guest tigerlady

I've never been very good at self-discipline. I'm really impulsive (bpd), and I don't have a lot of wilpower, or patience. Plus, I have a heavy predisposition towards addiction. But, it's worth a shot.

I don't go to sleep/wake up at set times, I don't excercise regularly, or eat healthy. I want to, but trying to has never worked.

I do want to get into a morning routine, since that's when my anxiety is the worst, so maybe it'll help me be more disciplined.

Here's hoping!

Edited by tigerlady