Advice on panic

Hi,

Work is challenging for me but iam developing strategies and not avoiding it. However, if anything unexpected occurs ( as often does when teaching kids) my physical anxiety ramps up as I get the intrusive thought that I cannot cope and it is a fight to keep calm. Does anyone have any ideas or tips? Thanks for your time☺

Are you teaching primary or secondary?

I get the thought 'I cannot cope', then immediately feel anxious. Or feel anxious and it's the reverse. Viscous circle indeed.

You can't plan for every eventuality unfortunately. I agree with PolarBear ?? Deep breathing and try to stay in the moment.

Also secondary! Tough job! I teach science. Mostly my job keeps me going and I struggle when not at work. 

Most of my frustrations at school lie with coworkers. Do you have a supportive boss? Are they aware you struggle with OCD?

Secondary like me. I struggle with ocd at work as I think I will make a mistake that will cost someone e their job. However as you know, when teaching you have to be in the moment which I really enjoy. My boss is supportive even though she doesn't know much about it. Do you get support?

My line manager is amazing, the definition of a true friend. Totally has my back, knows I have OCD and doesn't know much about it but i feel comfortable telling him I'm not feeling great and he would do anything he could to help.

The deputy head in charge of staff welfare is also amazing. They understand my need for routine and that I might be struggling on the inside and when I'm not at work but that I need to be there to keep myself as well as possible.

Are your thoughts only surrounding making mistakes that could impact others or yourself too? Do you have coping strategies for when you start to struggle in the classroom? Is it better or worse when you're teaching or in non-contact time? 

Its a great privilege to be a teacher, I love my job. It's really rewarding, even though it's very challenging. Also, teachers have a high rate of mental illness and I've come across a lot of fellow teachers with OCD, probably due to the inflated sense of responsibility! 

Hi magicat 

Its good that you are so supported. It makes all the difference having that support doesnt it. I have lots of support at work too. Normally I find non contact time most challenging. I go to a quiet space and do so e breathing exercises which help. Like you I feel very lucky to be a teacher.x