Gone! And back again in a week

Hi all, 

In the space of a week, I've gone from almost feeling back to myself to worrying like crazy again. It all stemmed from what my therapist said last week, and it all clicked. The trouble now is I can't remember what she said! It's really annoying, and feels like I've taken a step back in my recovery. After she said her statement , it was night and day feeling, and I felt great for a week until the intrusive thoughts became bothersome again. I want to go back to how I felt that week, when I had few intrusive thoughts and no anxiety. Perhaps it was a fear that it would come back that subsequently made the intrusive thoughts appear again. Has anyone been through something similar?

Hi Imhotep,

It's great that your therapist said something which clicked with you and helped you to gain some insight into your OCD thinking. Don't worry if you've temporarily forgotten what was said - gaining insight is a gradual, step-wise process. Next session she'll probably remind you what was said before and the click will return (probably with less intensity and euphoria though, so be prepared for that !) Then you will go on on to build on this first insight through the session with a new take home message for the following week. 

As the weeks go by you have fewer 'eureka!' moments but an increasing feeling of growing stronger, of understanding better and being more able to deal with OCD thoughts, feelings - or even relapses - by yourself. 

One step at a time. :) 

Hey imhotep

Just want to say something very similar happen to me

Some time ago, after a did an exposure, next day I felt myself again just like you said, it was a beautiful feeling, beautiful, but I had the feeling that OCD will return and after 3 days somehow I started again the same old OCD patterns, fears, etc. and well you know the rest. Just keep walking you know.

I think it is as snow said.

Edited by Snow fox

Thanks for the replies. I feel a bit annoyed with myself for allowing it back, but I know how I can rid of it, I just need to be brave in confronting these fears. I know I don't need to play the OCD game anymore, I'm just finding it hard to accept the intrusive thoughts.