Fighting the urge to look up morbid things

Hello :)

do you mean googling things for reassurance? Looking up symptoms and such? 

If so I actually find this a really tough one too! I find the best way is to keep busy, chat to friends, do some exercise/work. Sometimes staying off of the internet all together until the 'urge' passes!

42 minutes ago, alisando123 said:

If so I actually find this a really tough one too! I find the best way is to keep busy, chat to friends, do some exercise/work. Sometimes staying off of the internet all together until the 'urge' passes!

Good advice there.

4 hours ago, efes said:

How does one do it?

But like Alisando it's not totally clear what you mean efes.  Do you mean you look up graphic images of some kind?  If so, do you know why you do that?

Ashley.

Also, thinking about this kind of thing really lowered my mood. I looked up said thing and it didn't fix my mood. I know, I know, it's a compulsion and compulsions are wrong, but one other time I did this, it really did get some steam off my system.

• 2 months later...

Bump

On 10/27/2016 at 23:27, alisando123 said:

Hello :)

do you mean googling things for reassurance? Looking up symptoms and such? 

No. it's more like feeling a morbid compulsion to look up dead people or other tragic things. 

17 hours ago, paradoxer said:

You're going to have to be a bit more specific - is this an OCD compulsion or just for tittilation? 

I thought it was clear that it's a compulsion.

• 3 months later...

I feel the urge to do this right now, but I'm trying to resist it. For the longest time, I would merely use this forum for reassurance and it's only now that I'm actually trying to resist urges. 

In my case, what I would usually do is to focus on something else or do something else. I find, going for a long walk at the community park or going for a hike at a nature reserve really keeps me clear minded and free from compulsion/addiction.Being surrounded by Nature is very healing. I always feel so fresh when I go for long walks or hikes, seldom would intrusive thoughts pop into my mind because I would be so focused on the greenery, the birds and the little creatures like squirrels scurrying about. At the same time, I would also keep my smartphone at home and bring along instead a "dumb" phone from which you can only make and receive calls and have no chance to access the internet or get interrupted by whatsapps, line, texts.

On a side note, how do I prevent doing this ever again? I'm not sure I could do the above considering I live a boring life with the Internet as the centerpiece of my life.

1 hour ago, efes said:

On a side note, how do I prevent doing this ever again? I'm not sure I could do the above considering I live a boring life with the Internet as the centerpiece of my life.

Hi efes

Boredom is a formidable enemy. I'm in trouble left to my own devices. May I ask, what's preventing you from leading a fuller life? You don't need to tell me of course. I won't be offended!

On 10/27/2016 at 13:04, efes said:

How does one do it?

Oh, efes!

I know exactly how you feel, I'm actually fighting this urge right now too! It's so difficult, no matter how much I try to take my mind of it, the very second I'm not doing anything, the urge is there.

On 4/24/2017 at 01:04, Louise1994 said:

Oh, efes!

I know exactly how you feel, I'm actually fighting this urge right now too! It's so difficult, no matter how much I try to take my mind of it, the very second I'm not doing anything, the urge is there.

I know, it's like trying to hold in your fart or pee. 

2 hours ago, efes said:

On one hand, not doing this will make me more afraid of what I don't wanna look up, but doing this also does the same thing.

Who else knows this problem?

1 hour ago, efes said:

Who else knows this problem?

I mean. c'mon, I know I shouldn't feed my thoughts, but I don't wanna make them seem like a big deal but not exposing myself to them either.

He doesn't look up morbid things and focus on something else, no matter what thoughts pass through your head if you don't do it.

I for example I would get things like "I'll never be able to socialize again and have pleasant conversations and I will end up alone on the street, poor, a beggar and everyone would laugh at me and pity me" things like that I would get every time I would resist a compulsion in the past, which, if you think about it, is completely irrational! But I won't do the compulsion anyway, the feelings and thoughts would fade away and now I rarely get thoughts like this if I don't do a compulsion... Not that I mind them, I actually find them extremely funny now.

So I don't do the compulsion, regardless of what my brain thinks about it, and I suggest you do too.

I know it can be very hard at times, but the beginning is the hardest when cutting out a compulsion. Good luck :)

Edited by chaosed
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2017 at 22:14, efes said:

I mean. c'mon, I know I shouldn't feed my thoughts, but I don't wanna make them seem like a big deal but not exposing myself to them either.

This is how I feel about other thoughts of mine too.

On 4/25/2017 at 22:14, efes said:

How do I find balance?

• 2 weeks later...

After all this time, I'm not clear on what's going on. You say looking up morbid things is a compulsion. If so, you should be able to tell us what the obsession is that comes before the compulsion. It would help knowing that.