Has CBT Therapy helped with your OCD?

Guest feelgoodKate

Guest feelgoodKate

Just curious to see how effective treatment is for people with OCD and whether it's something to explore. If it has helped, can you share in what way?

Thanks!

Guest Rusty16

Hey Kate, I found CBT to be really useful in the controlling of OCD. You learn a lot of tools in which you can apply to all different situations in which you may feel to do a certain behaviour. Along with medication it has helped tons and would highly recommend any sufferer having some sessions.

It's considered to be the gold standard for treating OCD, because it challenges the irrational and negativity in the thoughts and changes our response  to them, with the purpose of rendering them benign.

Also, it teaches us not to engage with them, compulse about them, try to get rid of them, or neutralise them - all things which in fact strengthen them and encourage them. 

Edited by taurean
typo

Hi kate.

Thousands upon thousands of people have been helped by CBT. My own experience was that I responded phenomenally well to medications, but it was CBT that put the icing on the cake. With CBT I was able to realize that it was the way I thought and behaved that was the cause of all the problems I was having, not the stupid thoughts. I learned how to think and behave differently and I reached a point where the thoughts no longer controlled me.

Hi Kate, 

I totally agree with all the above comments, especially what polar bear said and I think for me this is the most important part,  learning how to think and behave differently. I would definately recommend it to any one, you have nothing to loose only a lot to gain.