Sleep deprival

I've had some serious trouble sleeping this week and it's killing me. The first two nights I barely got any sleep at all, just a couple of hours. Last night I took night nurse at 11 and got to sleep. Tonight I have literally had no sleep. I've tried, I've laid down for ages and tried breathing excercises. My lack of sleep has really taken a toll on my mental health and has affected my sense of clarity and it's making it even harder to sleep because of that. I feel like I've forgotten how to sleep and it's so frustrating.

Anxiety doesn't help re sleeping. 

I was feeling anxious last night so meditated read a soothing book and put a sleep-inducing CD on on the player by the bed. It's called Essential Sleep and it's from New World Music. 

I have been sleeping nicely other than a comfort break. 

Getting anxious about not being able to sleep won't help of course. You need to ease away that fear. 

This might help you...

http://www.cpft.nhs.uk/Downloads/misc_downloads/Coping_with_sleep_difficulties.PDF

its quite wordy but it's the notes from an NHS CBT sleep workshop, which I found really useful.

I think the most reassuring thing I learnt was that if you lie down all night and feel like you haven't got any sleep your body has probably taken several 'micro-sleeps' that you weren't aware of - these micro-sleeps will be enough to stop you getting physically ill, but they won't be enough to stop you feeling tired.  I know if you are feeling exhausted that knowledge might not be very helpful, but i found it helped me to worry less about getting enough sleep, and helped break the cycle of anxiety. 

Yup, I got that as a symptom of my OCD too. Every damn night too. I believe there were micro pass outs, but not enough to keep me sane. Do you obsess about something while you're lying still trying to sleep? That was my issue, and I obviously can't get away from my brain! I tried distraction exercises but they didn't really work because the OCD interfered with them too, but maybe you can try meditation as you're lying there?

I ended up going to the doctor and along with the package of other pills I was prescribed, I was given zopiclone, which is a hypnotic agent which makes you sleep. I found it amazingly effective. After I take it I start getting really tired, and if I stay awake my limbs start feeling wobbly and a bit unstable, but I'm still able to operate. Once I go to bed I'm straight out. That cured my problem massively. The only problem is that they're addictive, and also you may end up relying on them to get to sleep. You could always ask your doctor about that.

Try looking at previous posts on sleep. 

Put sleep in the search field, then on the next screen select sleep in content titles only. 

That will show you all the topics with sleep in the title. 

One of the previous posts was by me. I've had this same problem a lot in the past. Still struggle with it at times. What I find works most of the time is making up a story in my head and that distracts me from worrying too much and then I fall asleep.

That is creative visualisation Kath and it's good. 

One can simply just revisit a happy time, doing it visually - it might be anything that pleased and relaxed you. 

The simplest way to relax body and mind in bed is a progressive muscle relaxation coupled with deepening and slowing breathing. 

Work your way around your body, sinking into the mattress and progressively tensing and relaxing muscle groups. This both focuses within and helps to ease tension and stress.