ROCD? This is new to me

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, I'm starting to spiral deeper into this. I've probably mentioned this before but I'm worried about it AGAIN. I see other people's posts about this theme or whatever of OCD and they say they KNOW that they love their partner... 

all of this is centered around questioning my feelings for him and being worried that I don't love him, so how can I KNOW with 100% certainty? Does the fact that I don't have that certainty mean that I just don't love him?? 

I think logically I know the answer to this, since OCD is the DOUBTING DISEASE, but again... here I am freaking out because I don't have an underlying certainty about my feelings. Or maybe I do?? 

Clearly im ruminating quite a bit. Ugh. I'm also on my period so that doesn't help. I just want to hide under my covers ?

There is certainty available in OCD - but it is only the certainty that you can't have certainty! 

How do we deal with that?  We go into probability theory. If we see that we have an OCD theme likely at play, we take the view on board that we are "probably"  experiencing OCD,  therefore the feelings we are experiencing are fake or over-exaggerations. 

When we can subscribe to this view, and refuse to give meaning to the intrusions, they will start to lose power, since they need attention to maintain it. 

Conversely, when we compulse, and connect with the meaning being given by the OCD,  the OCD intrusions get stronger and stronger. 

You are craving certainty, which is a hallmark of OCD. To that end you carry out compulsions to find the certainty you seek. But it never works. It's a trap and the only way out of it is to stop trying to find that certainty. You do so by stopping your compulsions. It's as simple as that.

On 5/3/2017 at 22:09, PolarBear said:

You'll get closer to where you were before when you dismiss the thoughts as irrelevant and stay away from doing compulsions.

When you say I'll get closer, do you mean I won't ever just not question it like I did before? I may be reading way too much into what you said, lol.