Hello

I have started to have CBT sessions, mainly initial assessments but my OCD symptoms have been a lot more manageable lately and not been causing me high levels of anxiety.

The therapist says this may not be the best time to start CBT as it works best when symptoms are worse. I have been waiting nearly 3 months for the CBT to start, so am reluctant not to proceed with the treatment but I suppose you have to go with what the professionals say.

Also I have been moving home over the last few weeks so have been occupied with less time for rumination, so would like to carry on with the therapy just in case.

Had only two occasions in the last four days when carried out compulsions and felt more disappointed that I had done them than anxious, I think I may have let down my guard and OCD doesn't give up.

Anyone any advice

HI Peter. I think you're therapist is wrong.

If your symptoms are pretty good right now, then now is a great time to do CBT because you'll be able to manage the exercises better. You'll take in more information without your head full of thoughts and ruminating. And most importantly, you'll learn what to do when your symptoms do get bad. You'll have a tool kit to pull out in the future, if you need it. You will have been trained on what to do. Plus there's no way of knowing whether OCD is going to strike hard next week or next month and you'll really need the CBT. Stop now and you'll miss out.

Does that make sense?