Mental Health on Application Forms; what would you say?

Hi everyone

Hope you're all okay. I had a nice lazy morning but now need to stir my stumps, because I have an application form I need to fill in. On this form is a section on mental health and honestly... I'm not sure what to say.

As many of you know, it's been a tough time for me and I'm just starting to feel better. I've been very anxious at work - to the point where my TL can tell something's up with just a glance at my face, which is kind of nice but which I feel kind of ashamed of - and I don't know how to approach it here. I don't want to lie, but I don't want to do anything to jeapordise myself - as we all know, I ghet anxious very easily and it leads to me making more mistakes.

Has anyone any advice for me, here? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

C x

Ooh, gosh what a question. 

As someone who believes firmly in the principles of recovery, living well in spite of illness and disabled liberation, I have always filled in application forms accurately recording that I consider myself to be a disabled person, with a mental health condition.  However, where the sickness monitoring comes in, I can also report that I have had very few days off due to my OCD in recent years. 

Disability Pride! 

:thumbup:

If a job application specifically asks about mental health and you suffer from ( or are recovering from) a mental health condition it is considered a deliberate lie if you fail to declare it. That's potential grounds for dismissal if it later comes to light, particularly (but not exclusively) if the condition interferes with your ability to do the job. 

Best to be honest about it, but without giving any more detail than necessary - until and unless asked. 

If the prospective employer is concerned it could be an issue then the ball's in their court upon receiving your application form to ask for further clarification on how the simply stated condition (eg. 'OCD' or 'anxiety') affects you. 

Depending on whether your condition qualifies as sufficiently disruptive to every day tasks for it to be classed as a disability, there are potential advantages to declaring it. Disability rights are broad and enshrined in law in the Disability Act of 1995. That includes no discrimination being permitted at the job application, or interview stages as well as after a successful placement. If deemed to have a (mental) disability you're also entitled to appropriate support and any 'reasonable and necessary' adjustments at work. 

But perhaps this legal stance is all irrelevant. If your TL can tell something's up just from looking at your face, how do you expect to be able hide your anxiety from a new employer, particularly in the medium to longer term? :unsure: 

Ah...wish I'd seen this earlier. The form's gone and I left my OCD off it. Thankyou all for the suggestions - had to push to get it done today as I won't have another chance. 

I'm very anxious these days, true but I hope the citalopram will help me. Must admit, I'm nervous at how this will turn out...

I used to be completely honest on all forms, but I have personally been discriminated against by employers due to my OCD. It is very sad in this day and age but has happened too many times to me.......

So my rule now rightly or wrongly is to only disclose to medical professionals unless really needed.