Ashley

World Book Day - OCD Book recommendations

15 posts in this topic

Today is #WorldBookDay with so many fantastic OCD books available, which is your favourite and why? (Don't just post the book title, tell us why it's a favourite of yours).  Books can be either self-help or first-hand accounts.

Two of our favourite #WorldBookDay OCD recommendations are 'Break free from OCD' written by three of the leading NHS specialists in the treatment of OCD and 'Pulling the Trigger', both compliment CBT well and can be used during and post therapy.

A golden oldie recommendation for #WorldBookDay is the Twentieth Anniversary Edition publication of Brain Lock - republished with new material this is a great book that's stood the test of time and is still sold today, 20 years later. I have used aspects of this book alongside my CBT, although I would recommend Brain Lock pre-therapy and then once CBT starts to switch to the two books above.
 

Share this post


Link to post

Pulling the trigger is the book I found helped me the most. I think mostly because I bought the audible version so listening to Adams Story and Lauren's therapy advice was amazing. It was like u were there... my OCD was similar to Adams at one point I'm just thankful that I had it after pregnancy and I found out what it was straight away because he had a really bad time since he was at a young age. He also did the same as me after his first round of therapy he told himself it was 'Just fear' until it stopped working then his OCD got worse.

After my first therapy I was like 'it's just a thought'. It lasted until my relapse and it's nerve wrecking when then 1 thing you have held on to for so long doesn't work anymore. 

I would highly recommend pulling the trigger to others. I recommended it to @kittypurry and she has found it has helped her loads too. It's such a brilliant book.

Thanks

Jess :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Ashley said:

Today is #WorldBookDay with so many fantastic OCD books available, which is your favourite and why? (Don't just post the book title, tell us why it's a favourite of yours).  Books can be either self-help or first-hand accounts.

Two of our favourite #WorldBookDay OCD recommendations are 'Break free from OCD' written by three of the leading NHS specialists in the treatment of OCD and 'Pulling the Trigger', both compliment CBT well and can be used during and post therapy.

A golden oldie recommendation for #WorldBookDay is the Twentieth Anniversary Edition publication of Brain Lock - republished with new material this is a great book that's stood the test of time and is still sold today, 20 years later. I have used aspects of this book alongside my CBT, although I would recommend Brain Lock pre-therapy and then once CBT starts to switch to the two books above.
 

My favourite book was pulling the trigger I find it better that break free from ocd because I found it easier to follow the cbt section... I also felt with pulling the trigger it was suited to me because he been tho what I've been tho with everything so I could relate to it better..also dark side of ocd by pb was also one of my favourites to 😊 

Share this post


Link to post

Brainlock shed the scales from my eyes about what was going on inside my head when OCD is happening, and explained why I get repetitive thoughts. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, taurean said:

Brainlock shed the scales from my eyes about what was going on inside my head when OCD is happening, and explained why I get repetitive thoughts. 

 

I haven't read this one I will have to give this one a read

Share this post


Link to post

Is it too much reading all different books or would you say it's best to get the knowledge from all angles? I worry that reading too many it will all get muddled up lol but brainlock is 1 I am interested in reading 

Jess

X

Share this post


Link to post

Morning Jess,

You can pick up different great ideas from books.

I wouldn't read too many though, as you would be devoting too much time to the disorder rather than other things,  but Brainlock is brilliant even though over 20 years old, though best read in stages as there is a lot to take in. 

You can find a video from Jeffrey Schwartz explaining his "four steps"  technique, featured in the book, using the search field on the OCD-UK website. There is also a text summary of each step. 

Roy :)

 

Share this post


Link to post

I do like the Pulling the Trigger book as my review hopefully gets across, it's easy to read with non-medical terms. But that's something I have been thinking about lately,  I do wonder if that will then make it harder and more confusing for people going through CBT later when the CBT therapist starts using the correct medical terminology? Not sure, just thinking out loud about that really.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Jessie_Loz said:

Is it too much reading all different books or would you say it's best to get the knowledge from all angles? I worry that reading too many it will all get muddled up lol but brainlock is 1 I am interested in reading 

Generally I think initially read the recommended books and take bits from each to create your own knowledge bank I guess. But eventually you do have to put the books down and try and implement some of the suggestions.

For some people one danger is they misinterpret the information and so they can't really make good use of the books.  For others, when going through CBT and after finishing CBT it is well worth reading CBT based books like Break free from OCD a second time, and it is more likely to make much more sense that second time post therapy.

Another benefit of reading books like Break free from OCD is that it gives you an overview of what to expect in therapy. So, if we get a naff therapist who doesn't talk about or follow any of the exercises the book talks about, you know you perhaps don't have the best CBT/OCD therapist.

I have not yet read the updated version of Brain Lock, hopefully it will address some of the confusion from the first edition.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks guys I'll see how I go with my therapist before I read anymore books as PTT and break free from OCD has some really good points I don't want to get information overload lol 

X

Share this post


Link to post

Good decision I would say Jess 

:thumbup:

Reckon I will check out the new version of Brainlock - have you got it in stock Ashley? 

Share this post


Link to post

Yes Roy, we received the stock this week.  I didn't know it was published to be honest, I stumbled on it by chance, I have not actually spoken to Jeff for a couple of years now.

Share this post


Link to post

Great I will put in an order later when I am back home :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now