I haven't been on here for awhile but just wanted to update on my OCD and my CBT. I have a great counsellor and I'm finding the sessions helpful but in the back of my mind is doubt. I understand what my counsellor is telling me and it all makes sense but I just don't feel it is going to help my OCD. I have told my counsellor that if I'm still feeling the same way in a few weeks, then I am going to stop the therapy. I think maybe having a break from therapy and leaving this site might push me further with the next lot of therapy. I want to wish you all well with your OCD and hopefully, one day my OCD will have disappeared if not entirely then even just a little bit x

• 2 weeks later...

Your doubt about your treatment is your OCD all over again. That's what OCD is. It doubts everything. Its the master of doubt. We must accept the doubt and learn to live with it. Nothing is a sure thing. That's what CBT and ERP help us realize. We state our fear and when we face them we pick out the illogical portions but we never dismiss the possibility of the fear. Once we can truly hone in on our inability to have control over outcomes, and the better we learn to accept it, the better we will get. That's why with ERP you increase your fear and make it bigger and bigger and bigger. its to intensify the fear and accept the lack of control.

You've got this :)

On 06/03/2017 at 10:55, Nikki said:

I think maybe having a break from therapy and leaving this site might push me further with the next lot of therapy.

OK, we hear you.  But how is having a break from therapy going to push you further? Outline your plan. 

Difficulty putting into words what your exact intentions are? Chances are that means there is no plan. If you don't have a plan, you can't have a plan come true. :no: 

Are you sure it isn't a case of therapy is pushing you and you're struggling to accept being out of your comfort zone and implementing what you've learned? :unsure:

I'm not criticizing. Many of us have been through a stage of not being ready to accept the challenge therapy offers. And that's absolutely fine, there's no shame in struggling to engage with therapy. None at all. You'll get there when you're ready. :) 

But it's all too easy to tell ourselves were 'working on it' or 'getting ready' when what we actually mean is we're staying in our comfort zones for a while longer, avoiding being pushed, letting OCD continue to dictate our lives.

I believe it's important to be honest with yourself about what taking a break from therapy is really about. If you convince yourself doing nothing is 'getting ready' the result will be that you face the exact same challenges in your next round of therapy that you're facing now. No progress will have been made and you'll be every bit as unprepared and feeling just as scared or confused as you are now.

If you're genuinely 'getting ready' and gearing up for the next push then you'll have a plan you can easily put into words. That plan will include the exact cognitive changes you need to achieve between now and then to make the next push successful.

So, outline your plan of action for this break and tell us how it's going to get you ready. :) 

• 10 months later...

I'm considering taking a break from therapy, and the above post helped me. I mean, yeah, I'm not sure what I'm expecting to get from a break. Maybe the determination and commitment to do everything my therapist is telling me? To realize how my obsessions with being in therapy vs. self-help are totally irrational? Not sure. 

It would at least drive a wedge in me obsessing about whether to stay in therapy or try something else (another therapist, a workbook, etc.). I somehow feel like it might give me a fresh perspective (perhaps reminding me of how desperate I was without a therapist? Not the best realization, but it could be helpful for sticking it out).