The CBT ive done has been exposure and sitting with thoughts but i dont know what else it could teach?

I said to her today im worried i never had contamination issues before that major thoughts so i worry I've just read up on ocd and now use that as an excuse for the unforgivable thing i did.

She believes EMDR will help me. I feel hopeful but worried youre not too keen on the approach.

I neeed to learn something to move on, or else i should just suffer forever. Which seems what i deserve

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried EMDR as a treatment for trauma, and it was quite effective. I'm trying to imagine how it would translate to OCD.

The inability to accept uncertainty lays at the heart of all anxiety disorders, OCD included.

The ONLY way in which you will move past this is to find a way to accept that you will never know for sure.

17 minutes ago, Gemzi3 said:

The CBT ive done has been exposure and sitting with thoughts but i dont know what else it could teach?

I said to her today im worried i never had contamination issues before that major thoughts so i worry I've just read up on ocd and now use that as an excuse for the unforgivable thing i did.

She believes EMDR will help me. I feel hopeful but worried youre not too keen on the approach.

I neeed to learn something to move on, or else i should just suffer forever. Which seems what i deserve

See you keep calling it "the unforgivable thing". That's your words for it but it's not true. You don't even know if you did anything wrong. You probably didn't. But you're willing to label it an unforgivable thing. You can change the way you look at it. Also, anything is forgivable, if you do the forgiving. You're way too hard on yourself.

I did mention that today. I have a unrealistic perception of what a good person is.

I just need to work out how Cbt or emdr can help with that, or if that's a seprate issue

I agree with Polar Bear. The closure you seek will only come when you make peace with what happened, forgive yourself and move on.

CBT can help you get there by showing you how the meaning you're putting on your thoughts is locking you into this cycle of self-hate and self-judgement. It teaches you that not knowing is ok and that you don't need to know the answers to stop feeling bad.

You''re free to change the way you think at any time, and so change the way the world works for you, but right now you can't seem to see that. CBT can help you see. Though of course you have to be prepared to open your eyes and change the way you think.

6 hours ago, Gemzi3 said:

So I've now been booked in for a EMDR assessment next week to see if that will help me. Never tried it before so very unsure :( Just want to feel better and be able to handle the thoughts.

EMDR is (in my opinion) a complete waste of time - a sticky plaster some therapists offer when they can't get the person to engage with proper therapy. 

Will it enable you to handle the thoughts better? Again just my opinion, no.

It may temporarily reduce anxiety in some people (a distracting computer game is equally effective), but it won't stop the thoughts making you feel bad. Only changing the way you think about things can do that.