Food poisoning worry

Hi All,

I'm having a really horrible time at the moment and I think it's having an impact on my OCD.

My Dad is cooking dinner and it's quite late (8pm) so I just put a snap-pot (plastic packet) of baked beans in the microwave. I didn't check the packet before cooking it and the packet was right next to the microwave, not in the cupboard. Now i'm worried I'll get food poisoning, I'm worried that:

1. I had already cooked the snap-pot a few weeks ago and then forgotten about it and someone got it out and left it next to the microwave (I do cook things in the microwave and leave them there a lot i.e. 3x this week!)

2. Alternatively that I hadn't cooked it but that I had opened it and that it was open for a few weeks before I ate it

3. That neither of the above is true but instead that the packet was slightly open by accident and/or past its use by date.

It is not normal for me not to check a packet before cooking it- I think hunger got the better of me. Some of the beans were discoloured. Now I am really scared that I will get food poisoning. All this is made worse by the fact I have a difficult week lined up (my Gran's funeral and my Mum's suspected-cancer referral) so the idea of losing days to sickness (one of my big fears as I'm an emetophobe) is unbearable.

Help- what should I do?! :(

Edited by BelAnna

Eat the beans. You've got to know that OCD is in play. You're sitting their worrying, you're anxious, and you're probably ruminating like crazy trying to figure out what's what. That's OCD. Yeah, you might get sick by eating the beans. Probably not but there are no guarantees in life except death and taxes. That's the way it is and nothing you do can make things 100% safe. You have to get used to that and move on with your life.

Thanks Daja and PolarBear, I had already eaten the beans before I realized they might not be safe so I had no option. It was so stupid of me- I should have checked that they had not been opened first and checked the date.

I am scared I will be very unwell (vomiting is one of my biggest fears) and that it may happen somewhere problematic such as at the funeral or when we're driving somewhere.

My Mum might have cancer and if she does she will need to be hospitalized very soon and I have wasted tonight worrying and complaining yet again :(