trigeminal nerve stimulation

Hi newcomer here,trying to help my sister,who has had OCD for 30yrs and  couldn't make CBT work. I saw recently onTV("Trust me I'm a doctor") a small device for stimulation of the trigeminal nerve....a pad is placed on the forehead and a small current is applied .The name of this device was Neuro Sigma and it claimed positive results for PTSD Anxiety and Fear...... OCD wasn't mentioned but it would,to me,seem to be a similar condition.I wrote to the makers in USA.to enquire about its use for OCD and as yet (2weeks) no response.The device is expensive about £600 but she says she'd pay that happily if it worked.So has anyone used a device like this or has anyone heard of it being used for OCD?

I'd be very grateful for a response.

yours hopefully Peter

The likelihood is minimal Peter. 

I would suggest your sister joins our community here on the forum. 

Preferably I would suggest she becomes a full member of OCD-UK then, in the member's only area - not open to the Internet in general - we can work with her on her issues and provide some specific suggestions. 

There is a vast amount of knowledge here amongst the OCD-UK members :)

Regards 

Roy 

Hi Peter,

I remember seeing that programme and thinking the device might have potential in the future. But right now it's pretty clear it's experimental and it doesn't come with any guarantees of benefit. More importantly there's no guarantee of not causing harm (especially if applied incorrectly in untrained home use.)  

It's been proposed as a treatment for anxiety and PTSD, but is not proven to work even in those conditions, let alone start applying the technique to other conditions that it's not been tested on like OCD. Just because there's some anxiety involved in both conditions doesn't mean you're dealing with the same thing. (Eggs and meat both have protein in them but they aren't the same food.)

In short, the device needs to be researched. It needs to be checked for safety and efficacy before it should be made available to the general public. Remember the 'Trust Me' TV programme is about informing the public of what is at the cutting edge of research, not about endorsing experimental techniques.  

These days you can buy anything online; untested, unregulated, unsafe or revolutionary. The onus is on the buyer to research what they are buying, when it is appropriate to use it, how to use it and the buyer has no legal comeback if there are unforeseen problems, side effects or even bodily damage.

I understand how tempting it is to jump on anything that seems to be a 'miracle cure' (by that I mean the hope of possible improvement without effort or input from the sufferer), especially if the sufferer has had difficulty engaging with CBT and proven beneficial treatments in the past. 

But I personally think you'd be wasting your money at this point in time. If you've got £600 to spare spend it on some sessions with a good private CBT therapist. 

Thank you Tauran and Snowbear for your prompt responses. and advice.....I thought I'd clicked on "Notify me of responses" but not getting this message decided to come here.and look.

She is 83 so we thought to bring her into the 21st century we got her a tablet so we could communicate (we're 350 mls apart) but it's never working correctly (its a HUDL) and (to me) it's harder than a computer to work and so this week I said we'd get her a laptop...her response "I've no space to put it!".....we havent been allowed in her house for decades ('cosof OCD) so I can just imagine the state of it..So the long story is I can't believe she'd be able to join the forum herself. as she has even fewer IT skills than me (80yrs).

As regards this modern gadget,which for what it is --a pad and a thing the size of a mobile phone providing a selection of low frequencies to the brow pad it seems like a rip off  (for desperate people ) as regards cost,but .....I don't think I'll be able to talk her into spending £600 on "talking therapies".I have written to appropriate authorities to see if this machine is being looked at re. OCD but as yet no response, so thanks again for responding.

best regards

Peter