I'm really struggling

Hi guys I'm really struggling the last couple of days I feel really down and so exhausted and really irritated.. and I just want your help in understanding what Are automatic negative thoughts are they the same has intrusive thoughts ? And if so do you treat them the same has intrusive thoughts and let them pass.. 

thanks x

Hey Snowdog

I am sorry to hear that the OCD is beating you down right now. I am right there with you as I've had my fair share this past week after having a good run the last few months.

Good question. I asked a therapist this same question some time ago. How do I know if my thought is OCD based or not? I am not sure I got an exact answer as she stated "is the thought worth worrying about?" I gave it more thought after sometime and I realized that an intrusive thought is something that leads to rumination for days and days where I find myself trying to search for comfort from the intrusive thought. Then there are some fleeing negative thoughts that come and go but have no sticking power. If its a thought that is debilitating our lifestyle and our interaction with people and leading us to fear and we just can't shake it, that's OCD in my opinion. If its a simple negative thought that we can shrug off, then its no biggie. I find myself checking in on myself and saying "hmmm, am I ruminating and if so, how long have I being doing this without noticing it?" If I am, then I will begin some of my exercises via ERP.

As an example, if someone were to say to me "I am afraid of dogs because they can bite people," but you aren't afraid of dogs, then you can easily shrug that off because it doesn't lead you to question whether you are afraid of dogs. You just know you are not and that's it. Just like reading some other peoples OCD fears, some of them we just cant relate to so it doesn't bother us. Simple and straight forward. However, if someone says that comment on dogs, and suddenly it instills fear in you that you hadn't experience before and now you begin to ruminate whether you are afraid of dogs and justify over and over why you like dogs, and you begin to look up every breed of dog and reasons for why dogs bite and you try to question whether you should walk by your neighbors house because they have a dog and potentially you take varying paths to avoid dogs, but you never had a reason to be afraid of dogs, then I would say that's OCD and the thought is intrusive. There is no evidence to be concerned about any dog and you've always loved dogs, may be you had 10 of them growing up and you just enjoy rubbing their bellies.

Hi Snowdog. I'm so sorry and supportive about the last couple of days. You have been so kind and considerate - and offered wise words - to other people and me. Negative thoughts that stay and obsessive thoughts are maybe the same? You have posted great advice without reassurance to lots of people and perhaps it would help for you to re-read some of your own great posts to get the answer you seek? You are a massively respected member of the charity and the forum and from my point of view you have been fantastic. I hope you have a better day tomorrow and onwards. Best wishes, Phil

Sounds like you've come up with a new name for intrusive thoughts.

If the thoughts pop into your head, they are unwanted, they cause distress and lead to compulsions, then they are intrusive thoughts, otherwise known as obsessions.

4 hours ago, PureOfied said:

Hey Snowdog

I am sorry to hear that the OCD is beating you down right now. I am right there with you as I've had my fair share this past week after having a good run the last few months.

Good question. I asked a therapist this same question some time ago. How do I know if my thought is OCD based or not? I am not sure I got an exact answer as she stated "is the thought worth worrying about?" I gave it more thought after sometime and I realized that an intrusive thought is something that leads to rumination for days and days where I find myself trying to search for comfort from the intrusive thought. Then there are some fleeing negative thoughts that come and go but have no sticking power. If its a thought that is debilitating our lifestyle and our interaction with people and leading us to fear and we just can't shake it, that's OCD in my opinion. If its a simple negative thought that we can shrug off, then its no biggie. I find myself checking in on myself and saying "hmmm, am I ruminating and if so, how long have I being doing this without noticing it?" If I am, then I will begin some of my exercises via ERP.

As an example, if someone were to say to me "I am afraid of dogs because they can bite people," but you aren't afraid of dogs, then you can easily shrug that off because it doesn't lead you to question whether you are afraid of dogs. You just know you are not and that's it. Just like reading some other peoples OCD fears, some of them we just cant relate to so it doesn't bother us. Simple and straight forward. However, if someone says that comment on dogs, and suddenly it instills fear in you that you hadn't experience before and now you begin to ruminate whether you are afraid of dogs and justify over and over why you like dogs, and you begin to look up every breed of dog and reasons for why dogs bite and you try to question whether you should walk by your neighbors house because they have a dog and potentially you take varying paths to avoid dogs, but you never had a reason to be afraid of dogs, then I would say that's OCD and the thought is intrusive. There is no evidence to be concerned about any dog and you've always loved dogs, may be you had 10 of them growing up and you just enjoy rubbing their bellies.

4 hours ago, Jessie_Loz said:

Hope your okay hunni stay strong xxx

2 hours ago, PhilM said:

Hi Snowdog. I'm so sorry and supportive about the last couple of days. You have been so kind and considerate - and offered wise words - to other people and me. Negative thoughts that stay and obsessive thoughts are maybe the same? You have posted great advice without reassurance to lots of people and perhaps it would help for you to re-read some of your own great posts to get the answer you seek? You are a massively respected member of the charity and the forum and from my point of view you have been fantastic. I hope you have a better day tomorrow and onwards. Best wishes, Phil

28 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Sounds like you've come up with a new name for intrusive thoughts.

If the thoughts pop into your head, they are unwanted, they cause distress and lead to compulsions, then they are intrusive thoughts, otherwise known as obsessions.

Hi guys

thanks for your replys it means a lot..thanks pureofield for making a effort and making that post I really appreciate it and you taking the time to do that..there is a few things in there I have heard from my theprist so I take that back on board..

thanks jess.. hope your ok Hun.. and hope your dad is on the med xxx

thanks for your kind words Phil really means a lot.. especially when I'm going tho a rough patch right now.. thought I really was getting someone now I gone ten steps back again...☹️ Hope 2 mow is a better day.. hope your ok and you had a good birthday 

thanks for your reply polar bear I'm not sure if there the same thing right now.. I think there negative thoughts from depression I think my depression is back but they are unwanted so probaly might be what you said I haven't done no compulsions I don't think becuase tonight my anxity is tho the roof I was relaxing and getting somewhere the last few weeks and my intrusive have drop so much the last two weeks And my anxity etc was going So not sure what's happening.. 

Edited by Snowdog

Afternoon snowdog, 

Hope you are a little better today. 

NATS ( negative automatic thoughts)  are a feature of anxiety and depressive illness. 

I made a joke about my wife's father yesterday - a man I loved dearly - and she took it seriously and was upset - her NAT was that I meant it, which I didn't - it was a joke, probably male humour it seems. 

In OCD I would think NATS are the same as intrusions. 

Outside of OCD the usual treatment for NATS is with a rational response - like me explaining my comment was simply a joke. 

In OCD the intrusion is targeting a negative core belief underpinned by OCD - so there will be revulsion fear threat exaggeration or a turning on its head of one or more of our core values. 

So we deal with it as taught in our CBT therapy. We see it for the liar and exaggerator that it is. 

Edited by taurean
typo
2 hours ago, PhilM said:

How are you feeling today?

Hey Phil 

a bit better thanks for asking but still bad it's not my ocd that's playing up I think I'm depressed becuase I'm really irritated and that.☹️ Or it might be still from my benzo withdrawel.. I will never know... how are you ? Have u lower your dose yet ? 

13 hours ago, PolarBear said:

Well it could be from depression, which often goes hand in hand with OCD. If that's the case then you need to make a concerted effort to take care of yourself. Actually, you should do that regardless.

1 hour ago, taurean said:

Afternoon snowdog, 

Hope you are a little better today. 

NATS ( negative automatic thoughts)  are a feature of anxiety and depressive illness. 

I made a joke about my wife's father yesterday - a man I loved dearly - and she took it seriously and was upset - her NAT was that I meant it, which I didn't - it was a joke, probably male humour it seems. 

In OCD I would think NATS are the same as intrusions. 

Outside of OCD the usual treatment for NATS is with a rational response - like me explaining my comment was simply a joke. 

In OCD the intrusion is targeting a negative core belief underpinned by OCD - so there will be revulsion fear threat exaggeration or a turning on its head of one or more of our core values. 

So we deal with it as taught in our CBT therapy. We see it for the liar and exaggerator that it is. 

Hi polar bear I think it's depression.. becuase I'm really low and I'm very agaited and irritated ? so I've up my escitlopram from 10mg to 15mg to see if it takes the edge of.. thanks for your reply 

hey Roy(my lovely neighbour friend ) what windy weather we have today ☹️ I've been gardening things going every we're.. thanks for another good post.. so ( nats) should be ignore to I keep having ones of I don't care anymore ☹️ Or I want to die ☹️ I'm like i must be depressed..I'm ignoring them like intrusive thoughts like polarbear told me to..

hope you and Julie have enjoyed your day at the Health club today 

x

Sounds like depression :(

Bear is right of course, see if you can find something good to be pleased about, give you a lift - daughter being home, Spring breaking out, garden beginning to look nice or whatever. Little things can make a big difference with depression. 

1 hour ago, Snowdog said:

hey Roy(my lovely neighbour friend ) what windy weather we have today ☹️ I've been gardening things going every we're.. t

Yep very windy.Was on my own at the club as J resting, but took a short drive to High Beech in the (Epping)  Forest afterwards - seriously blowey up there :)

18 minutes ago, taurean said:

Sounds like depression :(

Bear is right of course, see if you can find something good to be pleased about, give you a lift - daughter being home, Spring breaking out, garden beginning to look nice or whatever. Little things can make a big difference with depression. 

Yep very windy.Was on my own at the club as J resting, but took a short drive to High Beech in the (Epping)  Forest afterwards - seriously blowey up there :)

It does doesn't it ☹️ But the thoughts are not mine own there automatic like im not thinking them if you get me ☹️

Yeah I will try to..

aw love high beach i ride my horse down there do you highbravh riding school? That's one I go to..

aw was you.. you still well going on your own.. 

Back to the garden now x

Don't know that particular school but met some riders this morning. 

I learned to ride in the new forest whilst at college, but haven't ridden since - though I do support a charity caring for retired shire horses in Lincolnshire. They are gorgeous creatures. 

18 hours ago, taurean said:

Don't know that particular school but met some riders this morning. 

I learned to ride in the new forest whilst at college, but haven't ridden since - though I do support a charity caring for retired shire horses in Lincolnshire. They are gorgeous creatures. 

Aw nice yeah they are.. I done my biggest expose yesterday I used a electric saw to cut down tree yesterday it was so hard but omg I done it :thumbup: my bf was very patient with me and help me tho it..

Guest OCDhavenobrain

No need to diagnose yourself with depression quite yet.

Normal to feel down when ocd thoughts pop up. 

All those* thoughts about depression and why do i feel down, could it be depression, is just you sitting here ruminating

Edited by OCDhavenobrain