Friend has just got a job at my doctors I'm devastated.

After such a tough week, I have really took this vile illness head on and it's been difficult really difficult but I'm here somehow. Was feeling quite pleased with myself when I got hit with some news I could have done without. One if my best friends will be working as a nurse at my doctors. I know there is guidelines as to what any employee can look at but as I am now a patient essentially she can see anything. I have thyroid issues so get bloods taken regularly. I've always been very very open with gp despite different awkward themes peodopile, harm, blood tests for aids, you name it I've talked about it. I've always kept very quiet about my OCD other than to family so my friends no nothing so far. I'm so upset. 

Maybe you can try changing your thinking on this, and view it as a wonderful opportunity for your friend. May make your fears seem less significant if you adopt the glass half full on this issue.

43 minutes ago, Liberty said:

Nobody else would understand

You're friend is a health professional. It's her job to understand. Worrying that she will judge you or think differently about you if she learns about your illness is tantamount to saying she's an incompetent nurse and not fit to do her job. Is that really your opinion of your friend? 

I agree with Ashley. This is an opportunity. A triple-opportunity, as I see it!

1. An opportunity to change your thinking and finally accept that the theme of your thoughts is irrelevant and having 'crazy' thoughts doesn't make you a bad person. 

2. An opportunity to include your friend in your close support network, someone you can talk to openly and know you won't be judged for your thoughts.

3. An opportunity to strengthen this friendship by demonstrating that you trust your friend personally and professionally with some sensitive information. 

You've everything to gain from this and nothing to lose except false pride and unjustified fear. 

I agree with the advice offered, but can also see it might be a shock (initially, at any rate). It's one thing to share that information, when and if ready, another to have it sprung on you. It's also perhaps falls under the adage of not mixing professional relationships and friendships. I guess you have two choices, see as an opportunity, albeit one thrust upon you (maybe all the better for it), or, discuss (if you can) the situation with your doctor. And try to work something out. 

1 hour ago, Liberty said:

I am thinking of booing in with my doctor and asking to see all the things they have on me. 

That would be a compulsion and won't change anything. 

Patient records are confidential anyway and there will also no doubt be strict rules about reasons for accessing.

Edited by taurean
typo