Tip From Taurean - Ignoring Intrusive Thoughts

This idea came to me while meditating in rhe spa pool at my health club this morning :)

Think what you do when listening to your favourite commercial radio station? 

The commercial break arrives. You switch your focus down don't you? If you've heard an ad before, and decided your interest in the product advertised - or you don't like the ad - you simply ignore it. 

So, why not do the same with OCD's intrusive thoughts? 

To anyone else, they will be meaningless irrelevant nonsense and ignored like a familiar advert on the radio. To you, as they play on your OCD theme, your focus pricks up and you pay them attention they actually don't deserve. 

But they really are irrelevant nonsense aren't they?  Lies, falsehoods, exaggerations, negative unwanted thoughts? 

So, let's treat them as if they are ads on the radio we have heard before, and use behavioural therapy to ignore them and let them simply slip away :)

3 hours ago, taurean said:

This idea came to me while meditating in rhe spa pool at my health club this morning :)

Think what you do when listening to your favourite commercial radio station? 

The commercial break arrives. You switch your focus down don't you? If you've heard an ad before, and decided your interest in the product advertised - or you don't like the ad - you simply ignore it. 

So, why not do the same with OCD's intrusive thoughts? 

To anyone else, they will be meaningless irrelevant nonsense and ignored like a familiar advert on the radio. To you, as they play on your OCD theme, your focus pricks up and you pay them attention they actually don't deserve. 

But they really are irrelevant nonsense aren't they?  Lies, falsehoods, exaggerations, negative unwanted thoughts? 

So, let's treat them as if they are ads on the radio we have heard before, and use behavioural therapy to ignore them and let them simply slip away :)

What another good post Roy..

heidi x