Treatment advice- is this correct?

Hi

I have been seeing a psychiatrist for Ocd for about 8 weeks now but I don't feel I'm receiving the correct treatment.I was first offered Emdr now we are just talking .

I mentioned CBT but she said "who advised that".

This is through the nhs via my local mental health team.I have asked several teams for advice on my obsessive thoughts but she just says let go. She said she doesn't think I'm ill enough for secondary care and is just referring me for a medication review.

I'm not sure what to do next as I feel a bit worried that if I protest too much they will remove me from there list.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank u .

Hi Amc,

I think you need to speak up and push for CBT, but you don't have to do it in a controversial way that comes across as 'protesting'. Just ask to be referred to a therapist for CBT and quietly but firmly stick to your request. Remember that you always have a right to question the therapy you are receiving and to be given an clear explanation of what the personal therapy being offered entails. 

Next time the mental health team member says 'just let it go' ask her to explain exactly how to do that. CBT will hopefully enable you to do just that, but if it was easy to stop obsessing from being told to stop nobody would need any further treatment for OCD!

If they refuse outright to refer you for CBT then you may find this advice useful. 

If you're still having problems contact the charity office by email (support@ocduk.org) or by phone (0845 120 3778 or 0345 120 3778) for further help, or update us here. :) 

Hi Amc,

It makes me sad someone said that. There are a lot of uneducated psychologists in the world I guess :(. For OCD, you need to treat it behaviorally one way or another - either stop doing compulsions yourself or get help from a therapist to do that. Maybe medication will help you be brave enough to get better at OCD, but if you're like me, you will likely sometimes need someone to push you. My therapist and my psychiatrist say that CBT is the main thing about treating OCD, actually doing the actions. So no, the advice your psychiatrist gave you is 100 thousand percent wrong. That was dumb of her to say. You can take it from me, an almost fully recovered OCD suferrer, my psychologist who has had a track record of treating many many people with OCD, and even my psychiatrist, who has treated people with OCD with medication. Now how you do that, that I cannot answer because I'm from the US where we're lucky not to have a list :( It looks like snowbear had a really good answer for that. I completely agree with him. And I would agree that you shouldn't be scared of being removed from the list, definitely take control of your treatment. I've had an experience with a non understanding psychologist - they're out there. The only good thing is that the right medication you find will take an edge off your symptoms, but CBT is the most and fastest effective. I don't know if I've ever heard of someone recovering from OCD just from medication (who knows maybe, I haven't researched it,) but I definitely heard of people recovering from CBT, sometimes with the help of medication. You can tell your psychologist that a "friend" (lol me, just a forum user but shh) recovered from CBT and the psychologist uses CBT as the accepted form of treatment and everyone she treats gets better at OCD.

Edited by svr
I want to make sure I give the right information.