Pure O Or Not Pure O? That Is The Question!

And, for me, there is a simple answer - not! 

OCD obsessive thoughts produce compulsions, whether these are overt, or covert. Where no obvious compulsions are visible, then examining the sufferers thinking processes will usually reveal mental compulsions such as re-assurance-seeking, researching, ruminating. 

So, for me, the term is a non sequitur and I would like to see it phased out. 

Edited by taurean
typo

Definitely. Pure-O is a absolutely technically wrong term. OCD can't exist without compulsion. Mental compulsions are nothing other than compulsion and patient needs to work in stopping them just like physical compulsions.

The other danger of using the term is appearing to be different to other sufferers. 

Well, those of us who have been around a while know that deep down the disorder works in a similar way whatever the theme in which it is expressed - frankly we can obsess and compulse about literally anything, as these forums show. 

I agree. Also I've found that most people who say they suffer from pure O have physical compulsions anyway, but they are just more subtle.

I'd love to see the term phased out as it is a real barrier to treatment when you think you have this special case of OCD that the CBT books don't talk about.

Whilst I agree with what's being said, I don't think people think that theirs is special or different as such.  I feel that many take the term as meaning "horrid thoughts" type OCD, with no obvious physical behaviours.  This often happens before they know anything about the condition or at least, very little.  That's why we need to raise awareness so that people (including health professionals) start to understand.

Well I used to think my "pure O" was a special, more untreatable type of OCD. I spent years trying to find "the right" treatment for it because I was convinced it wasn't "normal OCD". I know differently now of course.