Anxiety survival tips?

Hey, i've been a bit in-and-out on this forum for the past few years but I'm glad to say that at the start of this year I took it up on myself to get some help when I began experiencing previously overcome anxieties. However, I have been told that the waiting list for CBT is quite long and although I am seeing someone until I get in, the sessions are usually talking about the anxieties I am experiencing instead of something of a CBT nature. 

But the point of this post is, does anyone who has overcome the themes variating around sexuality, harm, gender etc got any survival tips? I've read on a number of different sites different things, so not really sure what to believe. Also don't really want to go searching through all the said sites because I always end up in that reassurance cycle. 

Thanks in Advance :) 

• 5 months later...

There are lots of books out there and lots or CBT techniques you can do yourself at home. Try some ERP. And I mean REALLY try it. like for example when an intrusive thought pops into your head you have to try and sit with the anxiety of it for say...10 seconds, then 20 seconds and so on and build up your tolerance. That example is very basic obviously and each person is going to be different but that is what I had to do in CBT when I went and It helped rid me of my compulsions of counting everything in my room before I went to sleep (which was very very annoying! especially when I really wanted to go asleep!) There was like 50 things I had to count!!! so then I only started counting 45 then 40 then I was just checking the odd few then none at all! and thankfully it stuck! I understand that you are having mental compulsions like ruminating on unwanted thoughts and your issue isn't exactly the same as mine but the technique works for everything OCD related.