Can ocd make it hard to cencentrate or could it be alcohol withdrawl

Guest David green

Guest David green

My concentration is really bad its been like this for a few weeks now it can be so hard to make my dinner and making my shopping list is really hard.I havent had any alcohol for 3 weeks im not sure if it can be that and im sweating badly in my sleep every night.

It could be either or both.

If your mind is filled with intrusive thoughts and ruminating, it is going to be difficult to concentrate on everyday things. I had a terrible time concentrating when I was in the throes of OCD. Fortunately, if you work hard to recover from OCD, your concentration can come back.

Guest David green
6 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

It could be either or both.

If your mind is filled with intrusive thoughts and ruminating, it is going to be difficult to concentrate on everyday things. I had a terrible time concentrating when I was in the throes of OCD. Fortunately, if you work hard to recover from OCD, your concentration can come back.

Yes its getting so hard to concentrate and im bad with the ocd pretty scary really i hope it gets better as im very worried about it.

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Yes and yes. When i am all in my head even doing ticslike compulsions do i get in another mode, aggitated and stressed and your concentration will be worse than if you didnt have the thoughts.

When you are doing plan and simple rumination is your mind obviously occupied and you are basically multitasking.

You notice how ocd makes you occupied first whrn you get rid of it ( even if it is for a short while)

Guest David green
12 minutes ago, OceanDweller said:

It's unusual for acute alcohol withdrawal to endure beyond 10 days. Have you been feeling this way since your last drink?

Its gradualy got worse not sure when it started i did speak to lifeline and they said im past the worst with the drink.And that the drink would of stopped my medication from working i still have bad sweats in my sleep.

Edited by David green

Poor concentration following cessation of heavy alcohol use is common and can last for a while (see PAWS symptoms). The sweats should have significantly diminished after three weeks. Anxiety and/or medication side effects are more likely culprits.

Guest David green
2 minutes ago, OceanDweller said:

Poor concentration following cessation of heavy alcohol use is common and can last for a while (see PAWS symptoms). The sweats should have significantly diminished after three weeks. Anxiety and/or medication side effects are more likely culprits.

Yeah thats what lifeline said thanks

do you think the sweats will slow down or stop?

Guest David green
1 hour ago, OceanDweller said:

I was drinking say just above 30 cans of redstripe a week and reading about paws says it takes a year to recover.Do you think that will be the same for me or would i have had to be drinking more than that.

Alcohol works in the same path way to diazepam, it relaxes you and helps you ignore your thoughts. You sound like you were using it as a coping strategy. Once you stop drinking, especially suddenly, your anxiety will come back as you're not suppressing it as much with alcohol. I found that when I stopped drinking (I had a similar problem) I found it hard to sleep due to not feeling relaxed, like I did on alcohol. Don't forget also that alcohol actually makes anxiety worse over time.

I don't know what medication you are on, but if it has only kicked in now due to alcohol preventing it from working before, then chances are you could be up and down while the medicine is loading up to therapeutic dose. I recall that my first week with beta blockers, and with an anti-depressant, were both pretty bad.

Guest David green
11 hours ago, AttemptingToHeal said:

Alcohol works in the same path way to diazepam, it relaxes you and helps you ignore your thoughts. You sound like you were using it as a coping strategy. Once you stop drinking, especially suddenly, your anxiety will come back as you're not suppressing it as much with alcohol. I found that when I stopped drinking (I had a similar problem) I found it hard to sleep due to not feeling relaxed, like I did on alcohol. Don't forget also that alcohol actually makes anxiety worse over time.

I don't know what medication you are on, but if it has only kicked in now due to alcohol preventing it from working before, then chances are you could be up and down while the medicine is loading up to therapeutic dose. I recall that my first week with beta blockers, and with an anti-depressant, were both pretty bad.

Thanks for letting me know that was you sweating badly in your sleep and for how long ive been having weird dreams.Im on 300mg venlafaxine once a day and 200mg sulpiride twice a day.

Edited by David green

No weird dreams, but sweating heavily. I'd fall asleep at about 4am if I was lucky, and then bolt awake at 5am/still be awake at 5am, and suddenly feel incredibly anxious, and sweat like crazy. This only happened in the first week, until my body got used to the dose, then I was ok. That's from Sertraline. Beta blockers just gave me a massive headache, and sick and dizzy feeling. It also happens now if I suddenly stop taking them, so I have to reduce them slowly.

Guest David green
17 hours ago, AttemptingToHeal said:

No weird dreams, but sweating heavily. I'd fall asleep at about 4am if I was lucky, and then bolt awake at 5am/still be awake at 5am, and suddenly feel incredibly anxious, and sweat like crazy. This only happened in the first week, until my body got used to the dose, then I was ok. That's from Sertraline. Beta blockers just gave me a massive headache, and sick and dizzy feeling. It also happens now if I suddenly stop taking them, so I have to reduce them slowly.

I wake up in a sweat its been going on over three weeks now i said to the cmht that i would like to change to an anti depressant that doesnt make you sweat but im really scared about coming off the venlafaxine.Im not sure how they do it do they gradualy take you off the anti depressant while giving you another anti depressant.

I also get that if i miss a dose it usualy was real bad nightmares with sweating but im getting the sweats every night now.

Edited by David green
Guest David green
12 hours ago, AttemptingToHeal said:

Well it sounds like maybe it's not right for you then! What did the doctor advise?

cmht said i could cut down the venlafaxine to see if that helps

I cant understand why im sweating all the time now when i wasnt before

Guest David green
36 minutes ago, OceanDweller said:

Hi David

What's your diet like day to day?

Do you take any supplements?

How many caffeinated beverages do you drink on a typical day?

hi i just have potatoes say with grill steaks or crispy chicken or fish fingers i dont take any supplements not sure about cups of tea.Im thinking it may be the sulpiride increase it has been increased by 200 a day.