Co-Occurring Disorders

Hello All

When I was first diagnosed with OCD, I was also presented with the less-than-welcome gift of a BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) diagnosis.

I would be interested to discover how common this is amongst the forum community.

Thank you.

Ha, I didn't realise it was you! Seems we have a lot in common. 

Well I've read a book that says BPD is harder to treat if you have other disorders. Mine seem to conflict with each other at times so it can be hard, also means therapy needs to do several things instead of just one thing.

You can use CBT to treat both although they recommend DBT for BPD. Personally I'm having psycho-dynamic therapy as most of my issues are based in childhood but my therapist is very experienced and knows how to treat both things.

I find it varies as to which one is worse on a certain day/week. They are just different. I also have limerence and am having issues with that at the moment so I'm not so focused on either OCD or BPD, but I'm still having issues with them of course.

Happy to chat more about BPD if it will help but this is an OCD forum so I'm mindful of not using it too much to talk about BPD specifically. PM me if you want to know more about it.